Razor handles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cmccarter

Is stabilized wood safe to use for razor handles? Don't want the customer coming back complaining of swelled wood.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

My experience is that there are differences in the amount of resin taken in different pieces of the blank. Especially visible with blanks stabilized with dye in the resin.

The positive part is that the portions that do not take the resin are hard (high resistance). The negative is that they are still all or mostly wood.

A good sealer and finish reduce the risk. And the hard parts will not easily take up water if the handle is cared for well.

No sealer/finish is totally water proof

Suggest you brief the customer on good user care and the risks - Chance of a return are low with good care.

Fish30114

As usual I'm in strong agreement with Ken. I give out a 'care and feeding' card with every pen or other item I sell. It has info covering refill replacement, and care of the material your new item is made of. It recommends treating them like fine furniture, including occasionally waxing the item.

Directly on point, I've sold a lot of Razors with exotic woods, some stabilized some not, and have had no issues with users that use them--some really frequently--oddly enough my acrylic clad items sell better than the wood clad stuff--and I don't skimp on wood-I have some items made with pricey burled stuff, but the acrylic just sells better--go figure...:rolleyes:

WriteON

I have only used acrylic. As durable as can be. Looks great day after day. It would have to dropped to damage it. It handles warm water like champ. I myself would not trust wood...especially if it's being sold.

Skie_M

I used cocobolo in my safety razor handle ... I've had it over a month now, no issues ...

Finished with CA, then waxed ...

I never leave it wet, of course.

Huskysibe

I use wood blanks all the time, I use 20 coats of CA on them and give out the warning to the customers to make sure they are dried after use. No complaints so far.

Quality Pen

It's something that scares me!

My thinking might be pessimistic, but even if I tell someone "don't soak it" or even "don't drop it"... it will happen. We are all just human, and it's just accidents. People drop fountain pens and bend the nibs, and there's nothing you can do about it.

But when it comes to me and wood razors, I decided not "in general." Some woods are more forgiving (think about boats) but even if I put 20 coats of CA on the inside and outside, I feel like eventually, that water will get in because of the relative abuse that a razor must take!

I don't make my razors to last for 6 months to a year, so I'm just doing what I can to help ensure when someone buys a razor from me that it's not going to "ghost" or separate or whatever else defect you might get from water soaking plus dropping.

Boss302

CA, in my opinion, is the best finish for wood shaving products whether the wood is stabilized or not. The finish is extremely water resistant even when soaked. If the shaving product is wiped off after each use then it keeps a nice sheen. If it isn't dried off then the finish will dull over time due to soap scum build-up but the finish still keeps its integrity. I have a brush with CA finish that I've been using for over 10 years and I really don't take good care of it and the finish is still good. The best confidence builder for shaving products is to make a few things for yourself and use them to prove to yourself that a CA finish will hold up under harsh conditions. You don't want to sell anything that you don't have complete confidence in it lasting for years.

Skie_M

Which is why I made my razor from cocobolo and gave it a CA finish and use the thing myself ... I wanted to see how well it would hold up in a bathroom, without having to invade a customer's bathroom .... or worse yet, have it fail for some reason and not know the how and why.

kovalcik

Make sure to seal the ends of the turned blank with a little CA. All you work sealing the surface will be for nothing if water gets in through the ends.

Top Bottom