Rattly pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jamesbil

Small issue you might be able to advise on, they seem quite rattly as you are writing as if something is loose inside. When I uncrew the nib I can see the mechanism hits the sides.
Kits are sierra style from a vendor here. I did try to contact directly but no reply.

Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silverado

You can try by stretching the spring. This has worked for me on some styles
of Sierras.

Carl Fisher

Slightly stretching the spring works good on many kits as well as trying different orientations of the spring if you are using a tapered spring. Some you may never clear it up unfortunately.

OKLAHOMAN

James I did answer your question, you might need to check your spam. I also said that the spring might be a little weak and by stretching it it should solve the problem. I also asked if it felt for lack of a better term mushy when writhing. I have sold a few thousand of these and have had no one with that problem although sometimes people don't think to ask .
Has anyone else had this problem with the Arrow component sets from me, please let me know so if we need a stronger or longer spring we can fix the problem,. It might be that the last shipment only had this to occur. Please let me know.

jamesbil

Thanks for the reply, it wasnt in spam either.
The writing feels fine apart from the rattle as you write.
I didnt realise the springs were tapered. Turning them around and stretching them worked a treat.
Thanks Calssic Nib!

jsolie

I've turned a grand total of two Arrows so far. One had a spring that didn't have much "oomph" to it, and the other one was fine. I have a stash of springs, so I replaced it and it's pretty stout now. If I get another "puny" one, I'll try stretching it before swapping it with the stout springs.

OKLAHOMAN

John, a question, were both pens the same plating, and if not which plating was the spring weak.

I've turned a grand total of two Arrows so far. One had a spring that didn't have much "oomph" to it, and the other one was fine. I have a stash of springs, so I replaced it and it's pretty stout now. If I get another "puny" one, I'll try stretching it before swapping it with the stout springs.

chriselle

Every Sierra I've made ...many hundreds.. I've had to stretch the spring out a bit. It's a bogus work around for an obvious flaw in the ID of the nib not being tight enough to the diameter of the Parker style refills. They are always way too sloppy and it's really amplified with my customers writing Japanese.

TonyL

I just "fixed" a Cigar that was driving me nuts....I added a second spring (after stretching the heck out of the first one). Unfortunately, I am not comfortable selling a pen with a two springs. I would love to find a source for longer or springy-er springs. I realize there is no shortage of spring distributors, but to find the right size and just buy those would be nice. I don't want to buy an assortment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom