Rattle in cigar pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I've noticed the last 3 cigar pens I've done had a rattle if you shake them from side to side. Unfortunately so did the customer I handed one to today :(

I replaced the transmission, the spring, and the refill and it still is there, yet it's somewhere in that grouping as the body and other components don't have said rattle on their own.

Any ideas on what might be causing it and how to resolve it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allisnut

I've noticed several parker style kits will rattle when retracted, but not every one will do it. I have not found a solution.

Carl Fisher

It's definitely only when retracted. Once extended, the pressure of the transmission and the spring keep it at bay.

I'm sure it's the refill rattling around in the transmission, but I just can't think of a way to solve it without modifying the refill itself (i.e. a single wrap of pipe tape or something) which to me is not acceptable when a customer sees that and want's to replace a refill.

Carl Fisher

They are a few out of a big batch I've had from Smitty sitting in the shop for a while. These so far are the only ones that have exhibited this behavior. I've gone back through my inventory that I still have do this, just these last 3. I turned one tonight that didn't do it either.

I've got a PM in to him as well to see if he has any thoughts but was hoping the group at large might have an easy fix.

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

I'll have to stretch one out tonight and see if it works. If so, I'll head over to the customer this week and "replace" his spring for him.

Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom