Rare wood and Burls?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USAFVET98

What are some really rare woods? How about burls? I am wondering because I want to start turning nice rare pens. Also, I see all of the burls turned and I love them. The only one I have ever turned was cherry burl.
Does anyone have any of these rare woods or burls extra for trade? I just want to try them out..

Thanks
Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I'd guess one of the rarest to be Huon Pine Burl, I say this as I have only ever seen 1 blank, and I'm sorry you cannot have it.

Skye

I'm going to say that with most burls you can't go wrong.

Cocobolo Burl
Irish Bog Oak
Thuya Burl
Amboyna Burl (of course)
Snakewood (more cracks than a plumber)
Any dyed Box Elder Burl
Some less figured woods with nice contrasting heartwood/sapwood is good
Desert Ironwood
Most any heavily spalted or curly wood

OKLAHOMAN

For the best burls see IAP member Nolan Harris:http://www.harrisburlsupply.comand for rares IAP member Rarewoods he has Huanghuali, very rare and expensive $100 each, Jichimu also rare @ $50 each. When asking about rare they will be expensive but you gets what you pay for.
Also if yor just not looking for rare woods you could get bakelite or catlin from the 1930's and 40's from our own PR princeless her new site is www.exoticblanks.com

Last edited:

USAFVET98

Last edited:

bobskio2003

Rare is in the eye of the beholder. In my collection of species I have quite a few that I consider rare (because they are hard to find) but wouldn't actually consider them prime pen making material (because they are fairly bland). Other things can be rare because they have sentimental value (ex. wood off from a specific ship or wood from a special location such as the Hermitage). These can sell well, if you have the right location or crowd. So I guess my suggestion is to go with things that are "unique" for the clients you are hoping to sell to. Bob I.

Dario

For the best burls see IAP member Nolan Harris:http://www.harrisburlsupply.comand for rares IAP member Rarewoods he has Huanghuali, very rare and expensive $100 each, Jichimu also rare @ $50 each. When asking about rare they will be expensive but you gets what you pay for.
Also if yor just not looking for rare woods you could get bakelite or catlin from the 1930's and 40's from our own PR princeless her new site is www.exoticblanks.com

Rare is in the eye of the beholder. In my collection of species I have quite a few that I consider rare (because they are hard to find) but wouldn't actually consider them prime pen making material (because they are fairly bland). Other things can be rare because they have sentimental value (ex. wood off from a specific ship or wood from a special location such as the Hermitage). These can sell well, if you have the right location or crowd. So I guess my suggestion is to go with things that are "unique" for the clients you are hoping to sell to. Bob I.

What they said but would like to reinforce our very own Nolan's burls. Another person to check is Curtis (mesquiteman).

Prices vary (and not cheap) but the best for what they offer IMHO.

Skye

Bahahahahaaa! I can't believe that URL redirects you to your site!

I'm surprised there's no foodsafe fleshtone blanks there.

Ok, I'm going to stop now.

Top Bottom