Rant: similar kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

I have mentioned several times, to check with calipers to make sure the bushings match the kit. I need to learn how to follow my own advice.

So today I got a Sierra kit in the mail. Grabbed my Wall St II bushings, turned and assembled only to realize the turning was too small. Crap, even though there is no mention on the bag, it turns out to be a Sierra VISTA. :confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Carl!!

You know the tube is the same for the vista and the regular or Wall street II. So, if you have turned to Regular sierra size and you have some of those kits, just use one of them and take out the tube, put it in the vista kit and you are good to go

I realize not everyone has dozens of kits "hanging around", but sometimes "one track mind" can set in and eliminate otherwise obvious solutions!!!

Ed

carlmorrell

Thanks Ed!

Yes I do know the difference between Wall St II & Wall St III. Or shall we call it Gatsby & Gatsby Grande? In this case, it's Sierra -vs- Sierra Vista. If it weren't for Wayne Racinowski's (THANK YOU WAYNE) PDF on this site, figuring out the differences would be a lot more work. Forget about adding the clickers into the mix.

I don't have a big stock of kits. I prefer to keep the clutter down. The down side is, either I mail order, or get overpriced kits from the local Woodcraft. My just-in-time production philosophy does seem to cause me to have downtime.

Yep, already hammered my pen apart. And am working on plan B. Looks like I will be driving to Woodcraft tomorrow :frown:

carlmorrell

Don,

Thanks for the tip! I wish there wasn't a Woodcraft 20 minutes away, it's too tempting to pop over there.

Dan Masshardt

Wallstreet II's on sale on the Woodcraft web site. The stores may honor the prices. Chrome wall street II's for $5.59.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

My local woodcraft always has the advertised sale prices. This wall at 2 sale makes them not overpriced in my opinion.

Some of the woodcraft kits are pretty reasonable compared to the online sellers. Yes, still a couple bucks more than online but you can get one quick if you need it. Plus if you only need a couple kits, Paying for shipping makes them about the same price.

I wouldn't want to have to stock up at woodcraft though. :)

You guys with Wood Crafts and such are so blessed. The nearest Wood Craft from here is 293 miles (4.5 hour drive). Since I can't drive over to snatch up a kit or 2 when I need/want them, I have to plan every order to ease the pain of shipping cost per kit.

I have to buy 6 or 8 kits to make it worth while and to lessen the amount I have to add to the materials so my prices stay inline with what I can actually sell a pen for here. I've got a spread sheet with future orders broken down in the order I want to get them.

edstreet

How much of a gap are we talking here?

The tubes may not be ruined at all. I did some experiments tonight on this very subject and yes you can indeed build up the low areas to be where you need. So break out that CA bottle (thick please) then go to town with it and build build and build! Before to long those low spots will be where they need to be.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks Ed!

Yes I do know the difference between Wall St II & Wall St III. Or shall we call it Gatsby & Gatsby Grande? In this case, it's Sierra -vs- Sierra Vista. If it weren't for Wayne Racinowski's (THANK YOU WAYNE) PDF on this site, figuring out the differences would be a lot more work. Forget about adding the clickers into the mix.

I don't have a big stock of kits. I prefer to keep the clutter down. The down side is, either I mail order, or get overpriced kits from the local Woodcraft. My just-in-time production philosophy does seem to cause me to have downtime.

Yep, already hammered my pen apart. And am working on plan B. Looks like I will be driving to Woodcraft tomorrow :frown:
You just need to find the right on line seller....and if you count the gas used on that 40 minute round trip(unless you get real good mileage) you are mostly offsetting the shipping charges. I will reduce shipping on small orders (less than 13 ounces) if the buyer will take first class shipping rather than 2-3 day priority mail and I'm sure some other vendors will also, but you have to ask for it.

Last edited:

its_virgil

My experience has been that first class is just as fast as priority, at least if shipping inside the US. I routinely ship snake blanks to a customer in the UK and first class is as fast as priority and saves at least 50% on the shipping costs.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I will reduce shipping on small orders (less than 13 ounces) if the buyer will take first class shipping rather than 2-3 day priority mail and I'm sure some other vendors will also, but you have to ask for it.

Top Bottom