Railroad Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm a little stumped as I have a customer that wants a railroad pen. My brain can't seem to come up with anything. Anyone have some suggestions? Thanks for the input

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Any particulars for the customer or do you have artistic freedom? The link Derek showed was really cool. Maybe have the guys at Creative Dimensions do some laser work. Use a similar method that Sylvanite used with his gunpowder pen, except maybe use coal dust. There's always segmenting. Decals....I'll keep the thought process going. Good luck either way!

randywa

I thought of this as a railroad blank. But I've been having a bad day.

Attachments

• Scan_Pic0010.jpg
    Scan_Pic0010.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 208

GoodTurns

see if you can find the TINY scale railcars (Azimiryou...please chime in!) there are some out there that look like they are small enought to cut and cast....been wanting to try but don't want to drop the $40 a car for an experiment!

its_virgil

Railroad ties are soaked and impregnated with various chemicals to deter decay and insects. I don't think making a pen from a piece of RR tie would be a good idea...actually the idea is kinda neat but I would not do it. Safety first...in the shop and out the door with our pens.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Make one out of railroad tie and make a clip like a railroad spike or a miniature track.

Dai Sensei

Another alternative is to find a suitable photograph of something and turn it into a lable, then cast and turn it. If you do not have experience in this, perhaps someone locally to you can lend a hand.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Make it closed end with a whistle on one end?? :)

Whistles aren't that hard ..... Hmmmm. Something for the todo list! :)

I've made whistles on the lathe before, but never as 1/2 a pen.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
see if you can find the TINY scale railcars (Azimiryou...please chime in!) there are some out there that look like they are small enought to cut and cast....been wanting to try but don't want to drop the $40 a car for an experiment!

I think you may be talking about N scale. I'm going to the Hobby Shop Friday to get some parts for my RC Truck. I'll have to look around. I think they have some stuff they sell just for parts.

I'll let you know how it turns out John. Probably gonna have to get the belt sander out of retirement.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Any particulars for the customer or do you have artistic freedom? The link Derek showed was really cool. Maybe have the guys at Creative Dimensions do some laser work. Use a similar method that Sylvanite used with his gunpowder pen, except maybe use coal dust. There's always segmenting. Decals....I'll keep the thought process going. Good luck either way!

Jonathan, I can do anything I want. It's actually gonna be a surprise for someone who retired from the railroad. They just want it to have some sort of railroad theme to it.

GoodTurns

I think you may be talking about N scale. I'm going to the Hobby Shop Friday to get some parts for my RC Truck. I'll have to look around. I think they have some stuff they sell just for parts.

I'll let you know how it turns out John. Probably gonna have to get the belt sander out of retirement.

oh no, N is huge(1:140?). Z(1:200?) or TT(1:450)? are the little ones (I believe)...I researched it a few months back, but I'm a numbers guy...so I'm pretty sure those are close. I think the TT's will fit in a larger pen...maybe!

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Holy Moly John. I got a few Lionel's and some HO's:wink:. Never heard of the really small stuff. Guess I need to google some info.

GoodTurns

the TT is small enough to build a setup in a briefcase...really. somewhat popular in Japan, most of the cars i saw were on Japanese sites. Locomotives (the obvious choice for a railroad theme, STARTED around $50 for the unpowered ones...well north of that for the live ones.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
Well I found a few places in the states that sell T scale. Will have to try and call them to see if they have anything that doesnt run. The cheapest locomotive i found was $40.00.

jfoh

How about having a set of tracks cast on a tube. If you can do a watch pen why not a rail track pen?

JohnU

I think a steampunk railroad pen would be neat. Not sure if you will be able to yell that the parts are from a train, especially a real small one.

Top Bottom