Quick question about turning a bottle stopper...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey everyone,

First I want to say that I know I am asking a question completely off topic. I hope to get a quick answer and then this thread can die.

My father-in-law just sent me a "Bottle Stopper Chuck" like here:

Bottle Stopper Chuck 1 in. x 8tpi at Penn State Industries

I have no idea how its supposed to be used. I can find any way to mount it on my lathe. I do not own any chucks. To date I have only turned pens while using a mandrel.

Any help would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

The first video shows how to turn a stopper with a very similar set up. Instead of being held with a Jacob's chuck you have a chuck with an integral mandrel. The unit screws onto the nose of your lathe, if the threads match. Use the drill bit to drill a hole in the stopper blank and screw the blank onto the post of the chuck. Turn the stopper to shape, sand and apply a finish. Sorry you didn't like my obligatory "google it" response. I could have just said "google it." Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

yeah none of the videos use that chuck. But thanks for the obligatory "go google it" response. I already tried it. I have also read the reviews and questions on PSI. All the videos I find show various mandrels.

KenV

The bottle stopper blanks thread onto a stub of threaded steel. 3/8 by 16 is the most common thread, but some use 1/2 by 20 threads. The PSI mandrel is 3/8 by 16.

The drill bit is to make a hole and the mandrel cuts (compresses) the threads.

There are a number of ways to mount the driver -- but the thread turns the stopper blank.

sbell111

Did you figure it out?

Your lathe came with a 3 inch faceplate that screws on where this mandrel does. If you have the faceplate installed, unscrew it and screw the stopper mandrel on in its place.

Did you figure it out?

Your lathe came with a 3 inch faceplate that screws on where this mandrel does. If you have the faceplate installed, unscrew it and screw the stopper mandrel on in its place.

Yep that is exactly what I finally figured out. I am embarrassed to admit I didn't know the lathe had a faceplate on it. I was only given a quick primer by my father-in-law on the lathe. That being said, I am mighty proud of some of the pens I've turned.

Thank you everyone.

Top Bottom