Quick Intro and Blacken-It Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

thetalbott4

I'll kill a couple birds with one stone. This serves as my introduction and a question to start it all off. I've been turning on a midi for 2 years now, but just getting serious. Your willingness to share info and insight is amazing and VERY appreciated. Thanks.

The question is has anyone used the tube blackening goo with CA or epoxy to see if they work together? I'm having issues getting the epoxy or CA to set up and bond with paints or Sharpie markers. I love some of the translucent materials but hate the brass showing through.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldimick

Scott, Have you checked on the front page for this article?

http://www.penturners.org/content/blackitdirections.pdf

Too follow up with your question though, I wonder how the flexible CA would do for blackening a tube? It is black. But you'd have to be pretty thorough on covering the tube.

thetalbott4

Lynn-
The article is where I got the idea for the brass blackening, but it doesnt say how it works with CA or epoxy. I've experimented with markers and paints with some luck, but some luck isnt good enough. I'd like to know the tubes wont come loose during turning or use.

With regard to black CA, like you, I'm worried about the coverage. You wont really know until you've ruined a blank. I hate ruining blanks cuz they is purty.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I have recently started using Blacken-It with excellent results. It will darken the brass with virtually no mess. It doesn't interfere with polyurethane glue. Jay Pickens (author of the article) uses epoxy almost exclusively and has never mentioned any problems either.

its_virgil

I know Jay personally and he is a penturner extraordanier and he uses two part epoxy for gluing in the tubes. I guarantee he would not have posted the directions for blackening the tubes if it did not work for him. I can't respond on the CA question, but it will work with epoxy.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by thetalbott4
<br />Lynn-
The article is where I got the idea for the brass blackening, but it doesnt say how it works with CA or epoxy. I've experimented with markers and paints with some luck, but some luck isnt good enough. I'd like to know the tubes wont come loose during turning or use.

With regard to black CA, like you, I'm worried about the coverage. You wont really know until you've ruined a blank. I hate ruining blanks cuz they is purty.

Deere41h

I have only used it with epoxy and it works well. Remember it is a corrosive product so rinse the tubes well after using and let them dry. I used it on a pin chuck and forgot to let it dry and had trouble with the chuck rusting.

By the way, Welcome to IAP. You will like this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom