Quick finish for Bic stick pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wb7whi

Anything you want. I like stain and oil but I also dye and even burn them sometimes. Lately I have been carving the tops and using spray lacquer to finish.

okiebugg

Bic Pens

For starters, I like to use Acetone/Plexi as my primary finish IF they are not too ornate.
If too ornate, Deft Lacquer. The lacquer has a tendancy to amberize the wood slightly.
The Acetone/Plexi gives you true color of the wood

refueler1

For starters, I like to use Acetone/Plexi as my primary finish IF they are not too ornate.
If too ornate, Deft Lacquer. The lacquer has a tendancy to amberize the wood slightly.

How long does it take the acetone/plexi to dry? I was looking for something that drys pretty fast. I tried thin CA but it just soaks in and takes way to much to build up.

okiebugg

How long does it take the acetone/plexi to dry? I was looking for something that drys pretty fast. I tried thin CA but it just soaks in and takes way to much to build up.

When applying correctly. new applications dry instantly so you can put on another coat in a few sectonds. Coats later take a few minuutes to dry. When you have built it up and are finished, overnight before sanding and polishing

refueler1

Anyone sell the Bic pens they make or just give them away. I've had several people want some and told them $5.

JohnU

I tried thin CA but it just soaks in and takes way to much to build up.

Thin is nice for sealing and a starter coat, then use the medium to build layers. If the wood isn't too pourous it wont take but a few coats.

refueler1

I tried thin CA but it just soaks in and takes way to much to build up.

Thin is nice for sealing and a starter coat, then use the medium to build layers. If the wood isn't too pourous it wont take but a few coats.

So far I have been using scraps of Spalted Beech so they are porus. I like the spalted woods since they have the black lines in them but they are pretty porus. Might have to try some cherry and none spalted maple and birch.

Top Bottom