Quick Bolt Action Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Getting ready to have a go at a my first bolt action. My question is how touchy are these as to tube length? Would a 16th more or less on the short side be a problem? Thanks!

Regards,
Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

csr67

How sensitive are you to the appearance of an additional protrusion of the refill tip?

Exactly right... I've made/sold over 100 bolt actions, by far my best seller. You need to get good at making the tube length exact or you'll deal with the pen tip protruding too much or too little. It's probably the easiest of any pen to (next to a Sierra ) make, just take your time.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
If the blank is only 1/32" or so too short, the extra protrusion of the refill might not be a problem. As noted by others though, 1/16" or more would definitely be noticeable & might not be desirable by the user. If you do run into that problem, you can shorten the refill slightly by trimming off a little bit of the plastic top. That's not a problem if you are making the pen for yourself, but might not be a good idea if you are planning to sell it.

mecompco

Thanks, guys. I cut a nice piece of antler and got it round, ended up being just a tad short. Probably closer to the 32nd than the 16th. I know some pens have a little lee way, but some don't. Will find something else to do with that piece of antler.

Regards,
Michael

WriteON

After you find the appropriate length make note of that measurement. That'll be your standard. Buy a micrometer. Bolts are the coolest pens. Have fun.

.....be sure the refill retracts enough. If it's close to the end ink can get on the surface of what is close to.(shirt pocket)

Last edited:

magpens

Can you glue a thin accent washer on each end of the antler blank to make up the length? Aluminum, brass, black plastic, credit card?

Last edited:

mecompco

Thanks again! Mal, great idea--I think I've got some black spacer material kicking around somewhere (made for placing between knife scales and blade) which would be a nice contrast with the moose antler.

Regards,
Michael

Top Bottom