Quick antler question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

I turn mine between 1800 & 2600, and i use a carbide tip cutter, then finish with my skew as a scraper with ca finish.
IMG_20120922_183327.jpg

pics are not the greatest, but you get the idea.

seamus7227

IMO, turn at the speed that you feel most comfortable with. I use a roughing gouge to get it close to size then i finish it up with a skew, sand it to 320 grit smooth, apply thin CA a few times to seal it up, sand it smooth again, and begin applying my finish with Med CA, MM-12000, and then done

its_virgil

I use a skew from start to finish and turn at the middle of the upper speed range on my Jet 1014VS...close to 3000 rpm. I've not noticed any heat build up problems although references to heat are often made. Maybe heat is a function of tool sharpness. I keep my tools very sharp and have never had an antler blank, or others, heat during turning.

If the antler piece is a bit curved I mount it between centers and turn it round, or close to round which will straighten the antler piece somewhat. This makes drilling much more accurate.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

StephenM

I keep my Rikon at top speed and use a sharp gouge and skew. Most important thing - where a GOOD mask. Antler dust is like asbestos - it has little hooks and once it gets in your lungs, it's not coming back out again.

Just did these this morning and used a roughing gouge to round, finishing with a skew, As Don stated, if your tools are sharp and you keep it moving, it will not heat up enough to have an effect. CA thin to get dust in the grooves, then two coats of Med and last coat of thin.Beale buffed.

I searched 6 pages back, and couldn't find an answer. I know I should turn slow, to avoid overheating, but I'm looking for a more specific number... what speed should I use? TIA

Attachments

• bullet pair antler - Copy.jpg
    bullet pair antler - Copy.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 137

panamag8or

Thanks, guys! My GF has a bunch of antler that she cut the tips off of to make needles, so I get the rest. I'll be at WC in Orlando this week, so I might pick up a couple of bullet kits. Once I get about 10 miles out of town, the locals will eat 'em up.

Top Bottom