Questions On Turning Flat Top Americans..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

challagan

I just got some Flat Top American twist pen kits and some screw cap roller ball kits. Both of these kits require a tenon or a section of the brass tube to show. They say you can do this buy precutting the blank to the exact size per the instructions or to glue up the blanks the normal way and then measure the blank after rounding and turn down the wood and bare the tube.

Which would you experienced turners of these kits consider the best way to go on this?

Thanks!!
Corey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I cut the tenon after turning it to size and just before the final grades of sanding. I never tried precutting the blank because I thought it might be too difficult to square the ends of the blank with the tube sticking out one end. Remember the length of the cap is fairly critical for proper operation.
See page 2 of the A.S. pen kit instructions for some tips:
http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Pen_Kit_Instructions_2.htm
The Woodcraft Classic American instructions has lots of good tips to prevent transmission and binding troubles as well.

Pipes

Larry at Berea showed me and he cuts the blank first so he don't have to cut a tennon ! I haven't made one with a tennon yet BUT I do it on pipe stems a LOT I think either way would work larry said he squared his on a belt sander BEfor glue up with the blank cut bare brass showing were it should be ! who is right I duno !![:D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

There is always more than one way to successfully do things. Rudy is a very accomplished penmaker and obviously his method works best for him. Don't choose a method because someone says theirs is best. If you're not sure try both ways (tubes are cheap) and choose the one that works the best for YOU [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom