Questions on Turning Between Centers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rodtod11

I've been reading about "Turning Between Centers" here and it looks like a much better way to turn pens. A few questions.
1. Can I use any of the bushings I've ordered or do I have to find TBC bushings?

2. Centers...what do I need?

3, Can I use the center I already have on the tail? ( in the attached picture )

Attachments

• 20140812_185318.jpg
    20140812_185318.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 260
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

To answer your first question, yes you can use the bushings you purchased with your pen kits. That said, many of these bushings are not made with great accuracy so you should also be using a mic or calipers to verify the measurements when you get close to the bushing. Also, the bushings that are sold with most pen kits are made from rather soft metal and they can/will contaminate some woods with metal dust if you sand down over the bushing. The TBC bushings I have are milled to much more specifiv specs and in fact pop when you remove them from the tubes. They are also made from hard steel so they last much longer and are much less likely to contaminate your almost finished pen blanks. You might be able to get away with the center you show in the photo, however, you really should have a 60 live center on your tail stock and a 60 degree dead center on your head stock for TBC. You can usually shop around here on IAP for some of the vendors that sell TBC bushings. They are worth every penny.

Chrisjan

I threw out the mandrel more than a year ago... I dont use bushings and I keep my chuck on the lathe... After drilling and squaring the blanks, I put a piece of hardwood scrap in the chuck and cut it to 60 degrees before putting in the blank. Saves a lot of time for me

BSea

Thanks guys! I found both the dead center and the live center on Amazon. I am going to do this!
I think you'll like the decision. For some reason many people think of TBC as a more advanced way of turning a pen. Nothing could be further from the truth. Other than only turning 1 barrel at a time, I think it's an easier way to turn. No mandrel to bend, less chance for flex. It's easy to take the blank off to measure with calipers, or to reverse sand (for those without a reverse on their lathe).

In fact I may try it TBC someday. . . . . . . . JK:biggrin:

When I started, I read and read the library, and before I even bought my lathe, I decided to TBC. I don't even own a pen mandrel. However, I do own a lot of TBC bushings.

StuartCovey

TBC is definitely the best way to turn! Just wanted to point out that bushings are not completely necessary. Most of the guys on here like using the bushings for ease but I have actually just done without them and find it just as easy.
Just a matter of preference though.

kingkeyman

Just wanted to add one thing, and that is if you are going to use bushings that are not designed for TBC, they do tend to eat away at your centers which will eventually lead to runout.

Carl Fisher

Just my way of doing things, I'll use the stock bushings to turn to about 90-95% of finished size. Then I'll take away the bushings and go directly between centers into the tube. This accomplishes a few things.

First it leaves enough meat on the blank to allow for ANY run out that was present in the bushings to be corrected for before getting to the finished size. Next it allows me better access to measure the finished size by caliper without the bushing in the way and get a better fit to the exact piece of hardware destined for the blank. Last it allows me to sand and finish without bushings in the way eliminating pulling metal into the blank, gluing the blank to the bushings, or any other host of common gripes about bushings and finishing.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
TBC is definitely the best way to turn! Just wanted to point out that bushings are not completely necessary. Most of the guys on here like using the bushings for ease but I have actually just done without them and find it just as easy.
You have to be careful and not tighten the tailstock too tight in the tube, a friend of mine :rolleyes: has accidentally cracked the blank. You want it just tight enough to keep the blank spinning and not stop when you try to cut.

Just wanted to add one thing, and that is if you are going to use bushings that are not designed for TBC, they do tend to eat away at your centers which will eventually lead to runout.
BTDT.

StuartCovey

TBC works great but I still prefer a mandrel when turning pens like the slimlines because I like to see the relationship between the two blanks as I am turning.

I can defiantly see what you mean, I keep a mandrel on hand for cases like that.

You have to be careful and not tighten the tailstock too tight in the tube, a friend of mine :rolleyes: has accidentally cracked the blank. You want it just tight enough to keep the blank spinning and not stop when you try to cut.

Yes, I am aware of that. You can crack a blank if your not thinking :rolleyes:

Old Codger

Wow! Being a 'Newbie' to turning pen blanks, I've never heard of TBC until just recently... I've used a mandrel from PSI/Woodcraft a number of times and have never experienced a problem although, I may have, and never realized it... ;>) It seems to me that using a TBC system would be 'twice' as slow than a mandrel system, but I understand that it's a more accurate way to turn a blank... Is this true? I only turn pens for relatives and friends at this point, but might attempt to sell a few at some time in the future if... I, like others, may have a consider amount of $$$ in mandrel bushings, so I don't want to 'waste' $$$ on another method it's not worth it... Comments and advice certainly welcome to all. Thanks in advance and safe turning to all!

Carl Fisher

Pen turners have been turning out (no pun intended) high value pens from mandrels for years. It's a case of what you prefer and what works best for you.

Ask 3 turners a question and you'll get 17 answers on how to do it.

I personally feel that mounting the blank directly between centers far outweigh even one time having to pitch an out of round because the mandrel bowed or your end squaring wasn't exactly perfect causing the bushing to kick it out of round or it was under-turned because you couldn't get to the very edge of the blank with your calipers or whatever reason. And once you have done enough, it doesn't take any noticeable amount of time other than to turn off the lathe, make a quick change of blank and turn it back on. The amount of time you spend turning would be exactly the same.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Pen turners have been turning out (no pun intended) high value pens from mandrels for years. It's a case of what you prefer and what works best for you.

Ask 3 turners a question and you'll get 17 answers on how to do it.

I personally feel that mounting the blank directly between centers far outweigh even one time having to pitch an out of round because the mandrel bowed or your end squaring wasn't exactly perfect causing the bushing to kick it out of round or it was under-turned because you couldn't get to the very edge of the blank with your calipers or whatever reason. And once you have done enough, it doesn't take any noticeable amount of time other than to turn off the lathe, make a quick change of blank and turn it back on. The amount of time you spend turning would be exactly the same.
I do most turning TBC but use either TBC bushings or standard bushings or Duel purpose bushings when doing it. I bent too many mandrels and got a few out of round. Some 7mm 2 tube sets I use the mandrel....but not a lot. I personally think the B mandrel would be better than the A but very few kits are made for B.

Top Bottom