Questions from a newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Another newbie here. I just started penturning a few weeks ago - so far, I've successfully made several 7mm slimeline BPs. Yeah - there's one that I'm not showing anyone but that's how we learn. Yesterday, I made my first FP using the Craft Supplies Artisan kit that uses a 10mm bore and tubes..

Some questions:

I had a 7mm barrel trimmer, and bought the 10mm shaft offered by CS. The first problem I encountered was that the barrel trimmer seriously gouged the inside of the tube. I didn't have this problem with 7mm kits.

After thinking about it overnight, this morning I did a couple of checks. First, I tried slipping the barrel trimmer into an unmounted tube. No problem - it slipped in just like I expected that it should. But when I tried slipping it into a tube that was glued into a blank, I found that it would bind.

Then, I measured the tube. The OD of a naked tube measured exactly 3/8" - about 9.6mm, not 10mm. Is this correct? The ID is 9mm - about 11/32".

I've been using PU to glue tubes into blanks. My reasons are that it is less expensive than CA, and less hassle than epoxy, and the fact that it expands when it cures leads me to conclude that it does a better job of securing the tube inside the blank. I apply a small amount of glue inside each end of the bore, and then use a cotton swab to smear it around. Then I apply a small amount of glue on the tube itself before slipping the tube inside the bore with a twisting motion. Inserting the tube doesn't displace very much glue, but I'm sure I'm using too much based on the amount that oozes out as it cures. Is it possible that using too much PU glue could deform a mounted tube such that the barrel trimmer binds and gouges the inside of the tube when I later trim the ends?

While I like the way the Artisan writes, I really don't care for the design. It's a bit too long, and the metal tail is a bit tacky. And the big issue is the snap cap - I had so much difficulty getting the inner plastic thingie aligned that I damn near chucked the whole idea in favor of basketweaving. I have found another kit that is advertised as requiring 3/8" tubes and bore - is there a significant difference between 3/8" and 10mm?

Thanks in advance -

Louie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

The 3/8 is a bit smaller than the 10mm. I have the WoodRiver barrel trimming kit I got from WoodCraft. It comes with 7mm, 10mm, 3/8 and adapter sleeve for 8mm I believe. I have used the 3/8 on 10mm sometimes and vise versa as I didn't see a clear marking at first. Since then I have realized the 10mm is a pinch bigger than the 3/8. I would buy the complete kit personally. I sometimes use my utility knife or a small flat head screw driver to get glue out of the tubes when the trimmer is too loose if I have a 10.5 mm tube or the trimmer leaves something behind.

Can't help you too much on the glue part. I only have been using CA so not sure about the PU. I would think it would require some real pressure to mess the tube up bad enough to not be able to get the trimmer in there.

Last edited:

Fred

I have successfully used a gun/rifle bore brush. These are available from any decent gun shop or Bass Pro. Their main use is in cleaning out rifle and pistol barrels after firing.

Take a piece of pen tubing in various diameters and go to the store. Try out the different bore brushes for sizing purposes. You want to use the one that best fits the tube, but not to snug. Then buy ONE gun cleaning rod with handle and you are in business.

These bore brushes will do a fantastic job of cleaning out glue and epoxy from your tubes. For ease in use I fine that mounting the blank (no mandrel) in the lathe and while spinning, actually run the brush in and out several times is all it takes to clean anything from inside ... this is the K.I.S.S. principle for me.

Allenk

I use a piece of 1/4x20 allthread to clean out the tubes just before I mount them on the lathe for turning. It cleans them very well.

bitshird

Louie, I seriously doubt that Polyurethane glue would distort the tubes, I use it on many pens because it does hold and fill up voids. I can't say much about a barrel trimmer I don't own one, I square in my lathe in a scroll chuck. But if the shaft doesn't fit the tube as if it were loose, I can see where it might burr the tube, or the tube may have been sticking out of the blank ever so slightly, This sounds like a PU glue problem, it has been known to push tubes out of blanks as it foams and cures, it's possible that under the foam was just a few thousandth's of brass tube which the trimmer thought was something it should cut., I either use the blue painters tape or a rubber band to hold the tubes from being pushed out by the Gorilla or Sumo glue.

Top Bottom