Questions on first pen ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lago

I am in the process of turning my first pen, a PSI Designer pen
http://http://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMONT.html

I have the tenon cut for the center band and all looks good.

I will be doing my first shot at a CA finish but don't have accelerator on hand. How long do I need to wait between coats?

Also, should the center band be glued to the tenon? If so, what glue should I use.

Thanks

lago

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

the time for CA to harden will vary depending on your humidity, temp etc. so you'll have to play with it to see whats working. Usually 5-10 minutes is all that's needed.

Haven't made a Euro in ages, so I'll let others comment on that.

wright_714

Wolf is spot on about the wait time. I have noticed my CA finishes are going much quicker with the humidity and temp up. As for the center band on the euros, I use a small drop of CA on the inside of the band and make sure to quickly wipe off any that squeezes out. I have ruined a few bands on my first few euros. Good luck.

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Wolf is spot on about the wait time. I have noticed my CA finishes are going much quicker with the humidity and temp up. As for the center band on the euros, I use a small drop of CA on the inside of the band and make sure to quickly wipe off any that squeezes out. I have ruined a few bands on my first few euros. Good luck.
My choice would be a little (very little) 5 min. 2 part epoxy. If any squeezes out it is very easy to peel off after the 5 min. setting period, or some paint thinner, varsol etc. will wipe it off.

LeeR

Dittos on using epoxy on the band. Easy to clean up with a rag, and will not mar the band like an errant dribble of CA might do when the band is pressed home.

ldb2000

+1 for the 5 minute epoxy on the centerband , as the CA cures it out gasses and can ruin the plating on the CB . I usually wait about 5 to 10 minutes between coats if CA and overnight to assemble to give the CA time to FULLY cure . Even though the CA is dry and seems hard , it takes several hours to fully cure .

medemt

Lago,

The last time I did some designers from PSI, they were the new type that did not require you to cut the tenon. I know they had both so just as a note, and not to insult your intelligence, check that.

Drstrangefart

You could go a safer route on the finish and do a lot of coats of thin. 45 secomds between coats for me. Had bad luck with medium CA taking an hour to dry with no accelerator.

lago

Thanks for the quick replies.

I have already applied one coat of med. CA and will wait a bit longer before doing the rest.

medemt - The pen kits I picked out did require a tenon and I got the bushing to make it easier. I feel pretty good that I got it right the first time.

Thanks everyone.
Lago

Top Bottom