Questions after first pen was a disaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GregMuller

After turning my first pen and trying to assembly it I have some questions. This was a slimline pen. First problem was that everything was loose in the tubes. The nib, the turning mechnisim all were loose and would not advance or retract the refill. The only thing that was tight was the finial that held on the clip. I suspect the culprict was the barrell trimmer but am not sure. The one I have goes all the way into the tubes. I know it is supposed to clear excess glue but is it possible it expandes the tubes if there is some wobble in the drill press? Also is the centerband supposed to be loose or does it get pressed onto something? Can you all let me know what i possible did wrong.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

The barrel trimmer probably reamed or expanded the brass tubes. Brass is soft! I don't like to use the barrel trimmer in a drill press. I do it by hand, but a cordless drill is ok. too.

The centerband will be loose around the mechanism.

Doghouse

I have had problems like this myself. I added a drop of epoxy on the nipple that is inserted in the tube for the tip of the pen. That will lock it in place.

Since the transmission for the ink is also brass, I used a pen knife and made a series of ridges on the transmission. This expanded it enough to make a tight fit. Hope that helps.

G

You did have the right barrel trimmer for 7 mm?
I know this sounds silly and am not trying to be silly.
I have had one instance where a component was loose but that is in over 100 pens of different styles from different suppliers.
A wobbly drill press could do it,but you should have noticed a vibration when turning.

Fred in NC

Drew: I am with you on these points... LOL !

After all, do we really need a washing machine (known in my household as 'rotary clothes disinfectator')? Dishwasher?
All these 'time saving devices' really 'work saving devices'!

As for safety, my friend, I really enjoy my hobby. For some reason I also enjoy having my fingers, limbs, eyes. etc. and want it to stay that way .... All woodturning related accidents that I have heard of happened at a time when somebody made an exception to the rules. Well, when you get in a hurry, an accident can easily happen. This can slow you down for a long time, my friends....

BE CAREFUL !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom