Questions about laser engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AlexL

I had a bunch of pen sales this week and had my first sale of an engraved pen. I haven't sold a laser engraved pen before so I have some questions about the process.

Do I send the engraver the completed pen or do I just send the turned and sanded barrel?

Most of my wood pens have a CA finish, should I send the pen for engraving before or after finishing?

How deep is the engraving? Some of my pens like the PSI Majestic are turned very thin on the upper barrel. I wouldn't want the brass tube to show through.

Does laser engraving change the color of the material? Where it is engraved or the surrounding area?

Are there some materials that are a problem to engrave? The first pen I need engraved is big leaf maple burl and will have a CA finish.

I would like to hear from people who engrave and people who have had pens engraved.

Sorry for so many question & thanks for your help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ken69912001

I have always sent the pen completed with finish on it. You will probably want it color filled. So no worry about the tube showing through. Your maple burl should be fine.

Sylvanite

Alex,

The complexity of the engraving is the biggest consideration. If all you want is a single line of text running lengthwise, then you can engrave the completed pen. If you want an image that wraps around, then your best bet is to engrave the barrel before assembly.

Laser-engraving actually vaporizes the engraved material. Some of the smoke settles back down on the pen. It is much easier to clean that residue off if the surface has a good finish, such as CA. If you choose to color-fill the engraving, that too is easier if the grain has been filled and the surface is completely smooth (as with a good CA finish).

The engraving depth can be controlled via power settings on the engraver. You can get anything from "barely scratches the surface" to "all the way to the brass".

Laser engraving does change the color of the engraved area (after all, it is essentially burning the surface). How big a change varies with the engraved material. Some woods, such as alder engrave very dark. Others hardly change at all. Many show different levels of contrast varying with the grain pattern. Maple is one that shows a light contrast, with some grain verigation.

Yes, there are some materials (including some woods) that don't engrave well. Most of what we use for pens, however, are fine.

If you're willing to drive to Hillsborough, I demonstrate the process for you, or engrave while-you-wait. Otherwise, there are several engravers on the IAP (myself included) who work mail-order.

Regards,
Eric

Cincelaser

Sylvanite explained the question so good!.

Be carefull when engraving black ebony wood, it reacts to laser as charcoal with fire! (barbecue pen?).
The best way to laser engrave black ebony is to make 2 or 3 passes with low power and fast speed).

Soft woods as holly and sicomore needs lower settings to be engraved.

If your laser engraving supplier is no familiar with this kind of jobs, send to him always a piece of wood to test before final engraving!

The best way to engrave is the unassembled and finished barrel. Can you imagine a engraving fail in a finished Emperor fountain pen? It happens, don't waste your luck!

Laser engraving always adds value to your products, keep that in mind when calculating the final price to your customers.

Regards,
Alberto

(Hope u understand my bad English)

Last edited:

Sylvanite

What about engraving plated parts like the clip. Will the part need to be replated?

A carbon-dioxide (CO2) laser, which is the most common type used for retail engraving, generally will not engrave metal. The energy of the laser beam is simply absorbed and the heat conducted away. There is, however, a pigment than can be applied and then heat-bonded to metals with the laser. Laser-marking leaves a crisp black design that is very durable. Replating is not necessary. Kit parts with an enamel coating may benefit from clear coating after engraving.

Here is an example of a chrome-plated slimline clip that has been laser-marked.
1_SlimlineClip.jpg

Regards,
Eric

Top Bottom