Questions about Dymondwood and Trustone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mbellek

I would call myself maybe an intermediate-level woodturner... I have been turning only for a couple weeks, and it may sound kind of arrogant, but I really feel like it is a hobby that agrees with me.

I just started working with Dymondwood and have found that it is a wonderful medium for what I am trying to accomplish. (I don't make pens, I make hair sticks, if you don't know what that is, there is a link to some pics in my signature)

I want to try some Trustone next.... But I can't seem to find anything but pictures of the finished product online!! Not even the website for the company that makes them! I have only found one place, woodturnerscatalog.com, that sells them for $8.99 a blank... Now I would expect these to be expensive, but I have a real problem with buying from the very first place I see something. I wanted to be able to compare prices to at least ONE other place.

Can someone suggest another place? Or is the place I already found about it?

Also, I have heard that there are other stabilized/dyed/birch veneer woods than Dymondwood. Can anyone help me with where to find them online? Are they cheaper?

Thanks!

Melanie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

The only other company I know of is Pedigree Woodcrafts, the price there is $8.95 but they have a few colors CSUSA doesn't have. One of our members, randbcrafts, was selling some recently. Check the classifieds for his listing.

I don't know where you;'re currently getting Diamondwood, but you might try this place. http://www.rrpwhite.com/index.html

mbellek

Originally posted by gerryr
<br /> http://www.rrpwhite.com/index.html

Actually that is where I am getting it from. Their prices are the best I've been able to find.

I didn't know people on here sold stuff though. I'll check that out.

Thanks

randbcrafts

I've got several colors of the Tru-Stone listed in classified section:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26249

3/4" x 5's are $7.50ea. I'm pretty sure you won't find it cheaper anywhere else. Let me know if I can help. Thanks.

mbellek

I should have posted that... Basically what I need is an 8" pen blank if that makes sense.

I have bought from Wood N Whimsies... and I tried to contact them again to find out pricing, but they seem to be very slow to get back to me. They kind of have been that way every single time I've dealt with them. Don't get me wrong, they are nice as nice can be, but they take a long time returning calls, answering emails, etc. (And I think I'm not the only woodturner here who wants it NOW NOW NOW! Am I? [:p]?)

bob winegar

Melanie, your best bet if you want 8 inch blanks is probably going to be to buy a couple of board feet of the wood you want and cut your own blanks. Six inches is considered more than adequate for a pen blank. If you have a table saw already, this is also the cheapest way to go.

Bob

Rifleman1776

I'm not a fan of Dymondwood. It is hard to turn. But my big gripe comes from the fact that I had a duck call delaminate. It had never been used or exposed to elements. It was in a box in storage. I don't trust the stuff.

tnick

Originally posted by mbellek
<br />I should have posted that... Basically what I need is an 8" pen blank if that makes sense.

I have bought from Wood N Whimsies... and I tried to contact them again to find out pricing, but they seem to be very slow to get back to me. They kind of have been that way every single time I've dealt with them. Don't get me wrong, they are nice as nice can be, but they take a long time returning calls, answering emails, etc. (And I think I'm not the only woodturner here who wants it NOW NOW NOW! Am I? [:p]?)

Just wanted everyone to know, I've left the corporate world and taken over working Wood-N-Whimsies full time so there shouldn't be delays anymore.

mbellek

Hi Tracey!

I posted that before I knew about Tim's accident, but I hope you can tell I did not mean it offensively at all.

Sounds fun/exciting to get to devote yourself to WnW full-time, huh? Good for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom