tomy2

Ok I have more questions....what speed works the best for you guys when:

Turning
Sanding
Finishing and polishing?

thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tomy2

I also have a jet.....so I guess I will do that.....your pens are great!

tipusnr

I've only changed speeds when having problems with the material I'm turning. I understand some finishes benefit from slower speeds though.

Generally, I've read that faster speeds turn easier but I do what I'm comfortable with. When turning small items or delicate details - I slow the speed down.

That probably doesn't help much but its what I do.

YoYoSpin

The rule of thumb I follow is to turn at the highest speed possible, as long as it’s safe (no vibration or things flying off the lathe) and I feel comfortably with it. Sanding is a different matter...many woods will burn and develop micro-cracks (Ebony, Pick Ivory and Osage Orange for example) if they get too hot, so I always slow down to 300-400 rpm or less while sanding.

Scott

I'm probably up around 3000 rpm all the time except for when I'm applying a CA finish, then I turn it down a little! ;-)

Scott.

melchioe

I'm with Scott, I keep it around 3000 for most things. I find that the CA makes some interesting spots on the wall at that speed, though [:I]. When sanding the temperature sensitive materials that Ed mentioned, I find that it works to use a lighter touch too, although I tend to think that Ed probably has it right - i just try to avoid moving those darned belts any more than I have to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom