Question for you all.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike Powell

I know there is a ton of competition out there for those of us in big cities. BUT, here is a question I have for you.

If you are a seasoned turner (years no question you know exactly what you are doing), and a new turner came into your booth at a show (new meaning, NEW, 2 years or less, still has a ton of questions about how and what), would you share your knowledge with him? Not just a little but mentor and help to grow and expand his knowledge.

I know there are some of you out there that would. I know when I met Rebel1 in Savannah, he opened up to me like a book. Answered every question I had, and smiled while doing it. I know me being a new turner, I answer what I can if someone is interested in turning. I figure my work speaks for itself, and quality will keep a customer.

Please answer whether you would share or not and why.

mg_dreyer

I do it all the time. You can tell a turner by the questions they ask and it kills me when they think they are going to fool me. It happened to me when I was new about ten years ago when a fellow turner would spend an hour or so at a show (between customers) numerous times and we would talk technique. He never held anything back. So now I do the same. The fellow turner was Ed Brown - so I guess you know he is fast to help. Thanks Ed and Exotics. I have had at least three former "customers" to my house and now they are turners themselves.

Mike Powell

These are the types of answers I expected from this group here on the IAP. I know when ever I have asked a question it has always been explained in a way that I could understand.

Wildman

Don't be fooled by my smile and hello how is your day!

Like Dan and few others have said do not waste my time I am there to sell my wares. Do not need your compliments or constructive criticism. Especially if with a customer or potential customers looking at my wares!

Use some common sense, if booth is not full of people, no foot traffic right now, stop say hello ask a question or two then go away.

You have not lived until members of a local woodturning club or other woodturner or somebody that knows a woodturner descend upon your booth picking up everything and firing questions at you regardless if other people looking at your stuff.

Last edited:

plantman

Mike; Your question about shareing knowledge can not be answered with a simple "yes" or "no" !! First it depends on the person being asked the question, and second, the person asking the question. Myself, being a collector and not selling pens on a regular bases, being the age that I am, and having the many years of woodworking behind me, I have no problem in passing along any knowledge that I may have gained. If I were younger, trying to start a full or part time business, or had a new method of making something that took a lot of time to perfect, I may be a little more tight lipped about my methods. We can also offer paid or free one on one lessons at a later date. I give them my card if they are interested, 99% won't ever call you back !! You can usualy tell if a person is truely interested in pen turning or just pumping you for information to make a quick buck or save the learning time. I give them the IAP web site, and tell them it contains everything they want to know and more. When they ask how much does it cost to get started in pen turning, I say you can get started for under a thousand dollars and buy better equipment as your skills get better. This will usualy stop them in their tracks !! Be polite, but if I have other people looking at my booth, I excuse myself, and attend to those people. Remember this!! If they are asking me for help, I am already many steps ahead of them, and unless they are super talented, they will never catch up on the learning curve !! Haveing said all that, if we don't pass on what we took years to learn, any, and all crafts will die a slow death. Jim S

Last edited:

Mr Vic

As a board member of the local AAW Chapter this topic has come up often...When does/should the free mentoring end and the teaching for compensation begin. If the show is dead I'll talk all day. If I'm busy selling I will give them my card invite them to the next club meeting and pass them a club card as well.

robutacion

No secrets here......I'll share all the tips that I can. That's how I learned, just gladly paying it forward.

"I taught him everything I know. The rest he learned on his own"

I agree with you mate, and I couldn't put it better myself, and those that know me, would agree however, there is so much I could say about the subject, and the various points to consider but, if I start, is going to be another "book", I may, but for now, this will do...!:biggrin:

Cheers
George

79spitfire

Yes I would answer questions. If they interrupted or interfered with sales there might be problems. (Not that I'm anything even close to what you would call an 'expert') LMAO...

kovalcik

Yes with no reservations. So many people have helped me get to where I am, I would be doing them a disservice if I kept what I have learned to myself. If I am at a show and busy then I offer my card and ask them to call or email to continue the discussion. If they are local I invite them to my shop to play. Woodworking in general and wood turning in particular have given me so much enjoment that I look at it as a duty and obligation to pass my knowledge on and keep the skill alive and healthy.

gbpens

Wood people like to talk to wood people. If someone can do more with the knowledge I share with them then more power to them. We are here for others not ourselves.

avbill

I remember a long time ago asking a National known photographer the secret to success in the business. He told me. He also told me that 95% of the people will never do what is necessary to be successful in their business. Knowing what ~ I know about human nature I'd always help a new person What I can't do is control your actions on what I told you. If you want any information about pen turning ask, If you want to know about marketing and sales ask email me. A statement I always use on a client is: My pens are NOT for everyone, are they for you!

Think about the one liner challenge in the statement for the client. And that results will it give you.

just my tip of the today for you!

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I, to borrow apart from triw51, I share my knowledge freely regardless of the competition factor. Wither they want it or not. :biggrin:

I figure if I help somebody to learn more, well that makes me a little bit better!

Last edited:

Big

Sharing and teaching has blessed me more than I can possibly even describe. I will always help anyone in any way that I can.

TBCbushings

I try to share as much as I can... I was at a show one time and the guys booth was empty and I went in to see his stuff and it was really nice product. He started to talk to me and the conversation ended up me telling him "I turn pens also". After that he didnt even want to talk to me... I thought that was a bit rude. If he had a full booth I would fully understand but it was "EMPTY"... I guess he thought I was going to bash is workmanship... The pens were really nice...
Brian

Chasper

My answer is no, I will not share, not with a new turner, not with a seasoned turner if I am approached at a show. I go to shows to sell, not to teach.

It has nothing to do with competition, I will gladly answer your questions via email, I'll take time to chat on the phone. But if I'm in our booth attempting to sell, even if no customers are in the booth at the time, I will respectfully ask you to leave. I've had too many bad experiences with new pen makers, and sometimes veterans show vendors who should know better, stopping in and interrupting when I'm trying to sell.

tbroye

I have taught 4 of 5 Grandchildren to make pens, and the make a few each time they visit. My 10 year old Granddaughter who live her in town makes some every year for her teachers and friends.

I have helped two men from church get started and don't feel the any competition for to I have some customers and give most away. I have now secrets just basic pen turning but I encourage the to read, learn and try different things.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I've only been turning (mostly pen's) for about a year now and if it wasn't for folks like Mike (navycop) and Fred (PTownsubbie) who gave me my first real hands on teaching as well as so many others here on IAP I feel I should pass on what I have learned to others.

jondavidj

I would share and also invite him over to do some turning. I look at it like making new friends and helping. If any turner here needed any help, I would gladly step up. I have a friend here and he will ask if I have a part of vice versa. I would do anything to help him or anyone else. If they screw you over, they have to speak for it not me.

Wildman

If want and need tips, tricks, and techniques, no better teacher than this web site and people here.

If want to get into sales just walking through a craft fair/show is an education. Looking and listening will give you more of an education than swapping sea stories with other pen/woodturners.

Do not limit your questions to pen/woodturners at a craft fair/show. Talk to any vendors not busy and willing to answer your questions. If all you learn is stop talking and listen you are on your way to great sales lather on.

Do not be put off if many of those folks not impress with pen/wood turners. Just be honest and let them know you are new to the world of crafting. Something else to keep in mind many craft vendors travel long distances and setting up their booth, waiting for buyers instead of browsers can take a lot out of people. So be nice & respectful!

Mike Powell

Thanks for all of your answers guys. In my travels I have found that usally wood turners are like harley guys, always willing to talk shop.

I was was a little taken back when he wasnt willing to share anything, or even really talk abojt turning at all.

Lenny

I had a young man who was also selling a few pens along with other things in his dad's booth. I talked with him a bit as time allowed but asked him to step off to the side when customers came by. I only do a few shows each year and anyone who just wants to stand in front of my table and shoot the breeze is just an obstacle to sales. I usually keep a few pen blanks on the table to show how the pens start out. I gave him one along with my card and the IAP website.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Years ago, when we did shows, there was no IAP. The number of people turning "plastic" pens was small and the number I knew was ZERO. So, at the shows, I was always willing to talk with other turners, when the show was slow. Those who saw me often (like Mark) were aware that I would walk away from them, mid-sentence if I detected a possible customer (unfortunately, I was often wrong, but the guys understood!!).

I can completely understand Chasper's answer, however!! He is spending hundreds of dollars to BE there, (big shows are also expxensive shows) and many of the people walking by may buy dozens---DON'T make it difficult for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kovalcik

It should also be pointed out that information can flow both ways. My last show, I got to talk to a guy who collected fountain pens. I learned a few things from him in a short time that will benefit me when I make fountain pens. It is rare that I cannot learn something from talking to other turners, even beginners.

StuartCovey

It should also be pointed out that information can flow both ways. My last show, I got to talk to a guy who collected fountain pens. I learned a few things from him in a short time that will benefit me when I make fountain pens. It is rare that I cannot learn something from talking to other turners, even beginners.

I agree! I can't tell you how much I have learned from talking to people who aren't even into penturning.
I'm always willing to talk if the opportunity arises.

Top Bottom