question for william Young

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

In your post about WB lacquer you mentioned that the pen you showed was not sprayed. I went to the link you had on the supplier and all the information they showed talked about spray applications. How did you apply the lacquer on your pen, brush or with an applicator? I am very interested in that finish but don't want to get into spray application. Nice pen by the way. Particularly the turned center band. Thanks for the info.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

William Young

For anyone that has not used high quality WB laquer, you will be amazed at how fast it dries whenever you try some. That it why it is a a spraying laquer. It dries faster than any conventional laquer I have used and up until now I have always sprayed it.

So I had to experiment with that pen because I wanted a wipe on finish instead of a spray finish. First I tried wiping a little on the pen with it spinning on the lathe. That didn't work. It dried so fast that it was showing lines all around the pen that made it look like bad sanding lines so I had to let it cure for half an hour and sand it all off and start over.

I finally found that the best way for me to apply it was to dip a soft T-shirt type cloth into the laquer and quickly wipe it across in a "wet" coat while turning the piece over by hand with the wheel on the end of the lathe. As soon as it is on, dont try to smooth it out . That will only make a mess of it. It is self levelling if you put a wet coat on and continue turning the wheel for a few seconds until it doesn't look quite as wet. Then I turn the lathe on and let it spin and air dry for a while while I go about doing something else in my shop. Then the same procedure can be repeated several times at about five minute intervals to get the desired depth of finish.
That pen I showed is right off the lathe the next morning and there is no wax or polish of any kind on it. I have emailed my supplier about some of the high gloss product but he has not got back to me yet. I am also inquiring if I should be using a compatable sanding sealer with it for pens . Up until now I have never used a sealer with WB laquer.The first coat acted as a sealer.

It is not quite as quick as the friction finishes but the depth of finish is beautifull. The picture sure doesn't do it justice and I feel that it will be a lasting finish.
I left it on the lathe overnight because I wasn't going to be doing any more turning but if I wanted to do half a dozen, I would take them off the lathe after about half an hour from the last coat and slip them over a 1/8" dowel or something of that nature and let them cure overnight before assembling. One half hour after the last coat is ample time for easy handling without marking the finish but I think the overnight curing is necessary for more aggressive handling.

W.Y.

wayneis

The other day I wrote a post with the name of a Company that sells this water based poly which is what William is refering to. It is a poly that acts like a laquer in that it dries so fast and gives a very hard finish. It is a comercial poly. The company offers a starter kit that has a quart sanding sealer and a quart of their poly that will do at least a thousand pens for only twenty five dollars.

Wayne

William Young

Wayne;
My supplier of the Oxford Ultima High Gloss WB Spray Laquer in Saskatoon ,Saskatchewan got back to me and he is sending a quart of it on Greyhound Bus . He assured me that I would not need a sealer using that product with the way I am sanding to 12000 MM now and that the first coat will emhasize the grain similar to the way a BLO application would. It will cost me $26.00 in Cdn funds and will be enough to finish a gazillion pens.
If you check out this site
http://www.woodessence.com/Targetdefault.html
be sure to click on the drum manufacturers picture that uses that product and also click on the closeup.
I will be looking forward to my product arriving and I will try it out and see how it performs.
I am using the last pen that I made with the semi gloss WB laquer in my own pocket and I love the feel of it every time I use it. It has been handled a lot by showing it to others and the finish is just like when I put it on with no wax or friction polishes necessary.
W.Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom