Question on using calipers and measurements

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe Burns

I got a digital caliper for Christmas and still learning to use and trust it. It has definitely made a different in the fit of my pens so far.

My question is how far to under turn a blank before applying a CA finish.

For example I measured the parts for a Jr. Statesman II tonight and got the following for the cap ends:

0.568 and 0.570.

I have been applying 10 coats of medium CA for my finish to ensure I don't burn through the finish when wet sanding with MM. I wonder if 0.002 under is enough.

What are your thoughts?

Joe

SteveG

What you may want to do is work at standardizing your process. Establish one that works and attempt to repeat it every time. Having the calipers allows you to do that. Do some before/after measurements to establish how thick is your "typical" CA finish (before sanding out), and how much of that you remove in your "typical" sanding cycle. Keep records on multiple pens (or just on stock you have turned round for purposes of this testing). Once you have this worked out, you will know how much to over turn, and can do it each time. You can evaluate the final result and make adjustments as desired. I personally have found that a thicker final thickness yields the look that appeals to most of my customers, who are the ones that pay my paycheck...thicker finish, bigger paycheck.

Top Bottom