Question on turning Alabaster

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

quister

When you turn alabaster is it a normal occurance to show cracks in it as you get closer to the tubes? Looks like they are from the drilling process.

I turned on tonight, screwed it up too, and noticed the cracks running thru it. It's a nice looking affect with the rock and all and just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything drasticly wrong.

By the way, the screw up was having my tubes wrong. Had the short one as the bottom and long one on top. My attention to detail is my best quality!!!

lorbay

A friend of mine turns a lot of alabaster incorporated in to his wood turnings and one thing I remember him saying is heat is a problem with this stone.

Lin.

Finatic

Cracks are part of the deal with Alabaster. Heat is the enemy. I have had to stabilize during turning with thin CA to be sure the cracking would stay on the tube. Ultra sharp tools help a lot. I usually hone mine several times during the turning. That also lets the Alabaster cool a little also.
R

Old Lar

I have made a couple pens from alabaster and used ca on it to hold it together and to finish it. The cracks add character and interest to the stone :) (as long as it doesn't blow up)

Top Bottom