Question for the soldiers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I would like to know what size is the pocket you keep your pen in, how big of a pen can fit in it, what size is the pen you are issued, and are there any regulations regarding what kind you can or can't carry. And anything else that it would be good to know for making a pen for the troops. Could one of you post a picture of the pen you are issued please?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Well when I was in the Corps, we were not allowed to carry a pen in our pocket. It was clipped in our shirt under our tie, or to the top of our sock next to our pack of cigs that was tucked in our sock. Things may have changed, they are getting soft now.....:biggrin:

KenV

You might ask Gary who runs the Service Pen project --- he is in the thick of that.

Memory is that the pockets in the sleeves of current uniforms are small and it takes a small pen to fit. One of the reasons that straight slimies are the norm.

MikeL

My apologies, I am not exactly sure which military members receive the pens. My uniform is the flight suit. The pen/pencil slots are very narrow. Slim lines work fine. I have tried a Wall Street and it did not fit. Slim lines with some curve to the barrel can work but some of the exaggerated fat barrels I have seen on some slim lines would not work. I would add that writing instruments with the rubber comfort grips are very difficult to get in and out. I don't wear ABUs (the camo uniform) but imagine the slots are similar. Hope this helps. Mike

Alzey

I borrowed an ACU jacket from a coworker who is in the guard. A slimline with a narrow body is all that fits. I am looking at making some bullet pens with 223. They will fit as well. 308 is too large.

Southwest

I took a handful on my last tour over there and can tell you that trimlines are really popular. They fit nice and snug in most uniforms (ie you don't have to worry as much about them falling out.) Also, they just feel more substantial than slimlines do. I know that is not really the case but perception is the key to happiness, right? If you think your pens are going to units outside the wire, brushed finishes are good to cut down on glare in the sun on the exposed clips when placed in a sleeve or leg pocket. Also, consider sending a refill with each pen. They can't go to staples when the ink runs out.

Also, as far as what is allowed in uniform I am not entirely sure about the other branches but I am unaware of any limitations in the Air Force. I did spend quite a bit of time with the Marines and Army my last few trips, and I saw them carrying all manner of cell phones, key rings, etc. That all being said, most people wont WANT anything perceived as unprofessional so stay away from bright colored acrylics and overly exaggerated shapes in general. A nice piece of timber is always a good call but if you really like acrylics go with something in muted earth tones.

Lastly, I appreciate everyone here who supports this kind of effort but right now you kick the most A$$ for putting the thought into this that you have. Consider sending a small note with your name and a message with each pen. You might never here back but I promise the intention wont be lost.

-Southwest

Exabian

Army uniform

I'm a supply Sergeant in the army. I carry a cigar pen, a Trimline, and a designer with me most days. I've also been know to carry a Presmo (PSI) or Jr gent. The Army Combat Uniform (ACU) has gone through three changes so far and the sleeve pen pocket that we use has been enlarged with each know design. There is a forth addition to our uniform selection but it only used in Afghanistan at this time. I don't own a set of those "yet" so I'm not sure what the pen pockets look like. Our regs state that pen should not show but nobody enforces it expect maybe our combat guys. In that case black enamel or gunmetal would work better, they can show. (Pic's attached)

Attachments

• IMG_2647.jpg
    IMG_2647.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2645.jpg
    IMG_2645.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 153

Exabian

I took a handful on my last tour over there and can tell you that trimlines are really popular. They fit nice and snug in most uniforms (ie you don't have to worry as much about them falling out.) Also, they just feel more substantial than slimlines do. I know that is not really the case but perception is the key to happiness, right? If you think your pens are going to units outside the wire, brushed finishes are good to cut down on glare in the sun on the exposed clips when placed in a sleeve or leg pocket. Also, consider sending a refill with each pen. They can't go to staples when the ink runs out.

Also, as far as what is allowed in uniform I am not entirely sure about the other branches but I am unaware of any limitations in the Air Force. I did spend quite a bit of time with the Marines and Army my last few trips, and I saw them carrying all manner of cell phones, key rings, etc. That all being said, most people wont WANT anything perceived as unprofessional so stay away from bright colored acrylics and overly exaggerated shapes in general. A nice piece of timber is always a good call but if you really like acrylics go with something in muted earth tones.

Lastly, I appreciate everyone here who supports this kind of effort but right now you kick the most A$$ for putting the thought into this that you have. Consider sending a small note with your name and a message with each pen. You might never here back but I promise the intention wont be lost.

-Southwest

I agree Trimline, slimline, and designers work the best.

Thank you for the comments and the pictures. So no to the pink, yellow, and purple with the gold stars. :biggrin: This is quite helpful. If you think of anything else please let me know.

Top Bottom