Question of which sketch/shop pencil kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

refueler1

One of the kits I want to make soon is a sketch/shop pencil kit. I have read numerous threads about issues with them. Can anyone recommend a kit for me to try. They are a bit pricy since I would have to buy the kit, bushings and drill bit so I dont want to waste my money without getting some guidance first. I would also like to make the pencil about an inch longer as my hands are big and I prefer longer pens and pencils.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lenny

To me it comes down to the lead .... Will it be for a shop pencil ? Do you want a 5.6 mm lead or 2mm? In my opinion the Shop/Sketch pencil with the 5.6 mm lead doesn't work well as a woodworking pencil. Maybe if the lead wasn't so soft .... but then probably the sharpener wouldn't work very well. (not that it works that well anyway, imo).
The Vertex is slightly better having the 2mm lead. I still don't care for the lead that comes with it, but I suspect finding some harder lead would be a little easier in this size. The sharpener isn't much better for this kit either. I have gotten used to just scrathing a new point on some sandpaper.
When it comes down to it, I still prefer a standard #3 or #4 old fashioned pencil.

I had a person who draws pictures? call me and ask if I had the sharpening cap that he had lost for a sketch pencil (3mm) from PSI. Anyhoo he has had it for about a year and loves it. I have sold several with no calls.
To me they seem solid. The only thing I don't like about them is that you have to carefully let the lead slide out instead of it advancing out.

Haynie

I am a bit different in my opinions on the pencils. I really like the 5.6 lead for drawing and shop work. I also really like the no advance mechanism. Quick and easy lead advance and retract to the lengths I need when I need them and the sharpener is great. I got mine from CSUSA. Just don't make them out of aluminum. Too heavy. Great weight and durability for the shop fatiguing to draw with.

Assuming I can get my lathe issues worked out I will be making a full set of 2mm and a couple more 5.6mm.

refueler1

I own drafting pencils that are called Lead Holders and hold 2mm lead. They dont advance, they slide out. I was just wanting to try something with a larger lead and a fatter body because the drafting lead holders I have are all skinny. Seems to me these pencil kits are hit and miss when it come to functionability. Wished I knew how to take my Staedtler lead holder apart and make a thicker holder for it.

Chasper

I've made and sold several hundred of the 5.6 mm artist sketch pencil from CSUSA. I've never had a problem with faulty components, never had a complaint or return from a sale. I didn't search back too far but I haven't been able to find any threads where anyone mentioned a problem with them.

I'm also a Cretacolor dealer, and I don't think they offer leads harder than HB. The leads that come with the kit and the replacements sold by CSUSA are HB/2H in the medium hardness/blackness range.

I don't have any ideas about how to legnthen this pencil, the machanics arrive totally assembled and the cap/sharpener needs to stick out the end.

DurocShark

I used a gold sketch pencil from Woodcraft for my daughter's gift to her art teacher. Seemed mechanically sound. We'll find out when school starts again if it's held up to a summer of use.

Jim Burr

Banned
I've several CSUSA kits...longest was about 3 years ago to a furniture maker. Most recent was 4 months ago. No problems reported from anyone:cool:

toddlajoie

I have made quite a few of these from Woodcraft and CSUSA, and have never heard of any problems with any of them, and people love them. I have several I use for a variety of purposes, and have had a single issue with the first one I made for myself. The internal mechanism fell apart (the center tube separated from the collet where the spring acts on it.) but it pressed back together just fine. And while this may sound like an issue, this is my garage pencil, who's main purpose for the past 2 years has been marking tiles, wood, and drywall for cutting, and spends a fair amount of it's time in mid air between where it was sitting and the floor (I hate the clips, so it rolls by nature. It also spent a significant amount of last summer "Lost" outside under my picnic table, so while it can be said that this failure is possible, based on the way this pencil has been treated, I have to say I was asking for it...

As a side note, I did also purchase some of the PSI ones, but they are a bit different (the clip is built into the top end, and the tubes are threaded rather than having a press in insert...) I do most of my turning between centers, and haven't had a chance to try and turn these without trashing the threads on the tubes when they are put between centers. I'm probably going to make my own bushings for them just to get these done, but honestly haven't taken the time. PSI does also sell (I beleive) a 3mm or so version of these, if you aren't crazy about the big led but want something bigger than the 2mm...

ossaguy

I have made a pair of the CSUSA one's and like that you can get the colored lead assortment.Someday I'd like to make one for each color.

I made a couple of the 3mm PSI sketch pencils,and they are pretty neat looking.They don't have the different color leads,though.They are pretty short,though so for your application they may not be good.

Steve

toddlajoie

I probably order the CSUSA kit next payday along with the bushings and 11mm bit.

Not sure about the 11mm bit (I can't recite the conversion tables by memory, but I think it is a 15/32 bit which is the same as the cap drill for the barron, navigator, sedona, aprentice Jr Gent 1's, Reinharts and a few other kits...

Rogersab1223

+1 for woodcraft. I made one for my dad for Father's Day and liked it so much I made one for myself for my shop...

My only complaint is that I personally prefer a gun metal or brushed hardware pack and they only offer gold (AFAIK). Functions very well though.

Andy

TreeBits

Same question (sorta)

I am looking for a pencil kit that is at least 3mm (but not as big as 5.6mm). The PSI Mini sketch pencil is an option, but I was looking for a full sized writing instrument. Any ideas?

bitshird

I have done both the two piece ones with the hex nut at the top and the one piece tube with a clip, Both work the same as a lead holder, the lead slips out when you depress the button on top, which is also the sharpener, I prefer the one piece PSI which I got from woodnwhimsies, actually I got all of them fro woodnwhimsies, on one I had to bend one of the collet pieces just a bit to get the lead to slide out, probably got bent in shipping. Both are great, but like I said I like having a clip for the pocket.

Top Bottom