question for resin makers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Efletche

Before I make the jump to resins, I have a couple questions for those who are already doing resins. Have any had pens returned because of cracks? I've heard several say their blanks were brittle, so I am curious if they are more prone to cracking after the customer gets them. Also, are you giving them the same instructions about care for the pen?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Edward,

Too soon to tell for certain, but most resins are very stable once they are completed. I sincerely doubt they will crack.

Instructions for care on acrylic-DON'T DROP IT!!! IF customers ignore this, they probably will be ok anyway. I have carried a number of acrylic cigar pens over the years and I am murder on pens-drop them constantly. NONE of the acrylics has ever cracked, even though they were usually cracked in the assembly process in order to become MY pen. [:)][:)] They CAN be scratched, but that's not easy either.

Good luck with resin-it's great fun and will help you develop your skew techniques. You will return to wood a better turner.

wayneis

I tell my customers that they should treat it just like they would any other piece of jewerly or collectable. If any resin pen is droped and it hits just right it could crack. If treated right most of the pens that we make will last a life time.

Wayne

Efletche

Thanks guys. My one big concern is storage. I figure that once the resin cures, it will not expand and contract like wood. I was curious about heat and cold, especially leaving the pen inside a hot car. I didn't know if temperature would cause the resin to crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom