Question on resealing the ends of wood afdter cutting some off

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

I have wood that I have bought from Wood Craft, some has just the end of the pieces covered in wax, others have the whole block covered in plain paraffin wax.

My question is say I want to cut off a length of the stock and make 4 pen blanks, do I need to re-dip the cut end of the remaining stock of wood in wax to keep in from checking,splitting etc.?
:clown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

If you expose end grain with your cut, I would coat the exposed end grain. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it. But that's just me. Ask 10 turners and get 15 different answers.

It doesn't have to be wax. I've used old leftover house paint and shellac. The type of wood is a consideration as well. Some it wont' matter. Others may check even with the wood sealed.

Ed

1080Wayne

Totally depends on whether or not the wood has reached moisture equilibrium with your ambient conditions . No way of knowing how long it has been since the wood was cut , so if it is a dense wood , play it safe and reseal .

low_48

Good chance that if it has wax on it, it's not dry. Exotics can take forever to dry, and there is no way for moisture to escape if it's covered with wax. You'll have to dry the blanks before using them, or you will get cracks. I would use wax to seal it back up. What species?

Top Bottom