Question on Red Mallee Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Has anyone here spent much time turning Australian Red Mallee Burl? I'm on my second pen blank and getting frustrated. I'm aware it's hard to finish, but I'm having trouble with checking in the individual burl eyes. I'm not sure, but I don't think it's a drying problem. The blanks were below 10% when I got them, and there were no checks on the ends or edges, nor were the blanks warped. The checks are all right in the center of the burl eyes. Is that just the nature of the beast? If so, do you try to fill them or say "Hey, it's wood." Any feedback would be appreciated.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've turned a fair amount of both red and brown mallee burl. The problem with the Aussie burls is they fight you everyinch of the way. Eye-checking, gum pockets, you name it. My solution has been to fill the eyes with CA and saw dust (from sanding, not the coarse stuff. They end up looking great. Don't give up. They're worth the fight!

Gary

Ok, I'll just fight 'em back. I have a bunch of them and they sure look promising. Thanks, Lou.

youngturner

Gary the number one thing is you need sharp tools and when turning down to the bushings leave a bit more then you normally would with other woods and leave it to the sandpaper to bring the wood down, you will need to use lots of CA with sawdust to fill in the small cracks etc.
hope this helps

regards
Mark
www.burlsdownunder.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom