Question re: Gatsby vs. Sierra Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

I have a couple of questions about the Sierra and Gatsby pens. I have noticed that my Sierra pens are a LOT harder to twist to get the refill to extend and retract. The Gatsbys are "smooth as silk". I am using the 'old' Gatsbys. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong with the Sierras? (If I do not push the tip all the way into the barrel they do run more smoothly - not an option, however.) How are the 'new' Gatsbys as far as ease of assembly and ease of operation (post assembly)? Is there a 'chrome' version of the Gatsby at or close to the price of the 24K gold? Are there other pens, of this style, that penturners have found more workable? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a little frustrated here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
THANK-YOU!!!

As an aside, when I got the diplomats I used the "ounce of prevention" philosophy and had additional transmissions made and shipped to me. I waited several weeks, so I believe they were MADE for me.

So far, I have replaced ONE. But, if you do have a problem with a Diplomat, just let me know. I have several hundred spare transmissions.

Personally, I have been very happy with the performance of this model.

Again, thanks for the comment, Gregg!!

jttheclockman

THANK-YOU!!!

As an aside, when I got the diplomats I used the "ounce of prevention" philosophy and had additional transmissions made and shipped to me. I waited several weeks, so I believe they were MADE for me.

So far, I have replaced ONE. But, if you do have a problem with a Diplomat, just let me know. I have several hundred spare transmissions.

You very rarely read about transmission problems with any of the Sierra lines but you do read about them unscrewing and I have this issue alot. My question is, is the Diplomat the same type screw in transmission as the Sierra and Sierra Vista and is there that unscrewing problem??? Also what plating does the Diplomat come in???

Seer

I have several of the diplomats and I got them from Ed and they are smooth as silk plus no plastic looking parts all metal which has helped me sell several already. Time to reorder.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
In answer to the question, yes, they have threads, they CAN unscrew. IF your customer perceives this as a problem, I would say make some "comfort" pens with your own centerband treatment. ANY other pen I can think of, uses threads. although I have never encountered unscrewing of a cigar--perhaps that's an answer. But the Jr. Gent is MUCH more likely to have the cap come off than the Diplomat is to come apart.

I believe our customers are treating our "Fine writing instruments" like BICs, when they are "unscrewing".

Just a FWIW.

JBCustomPens

THANK-YOU!!!

No problem Ed! Any time!:biggrin:

Top Bottom