Question re Dogs and Antlers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

deeceedub

I'm new to the lathe and to pen turning, so please be patient if I ask silly questions. :embarrassed:

I have to canine " shop foremen" who are constantly at my feet in the shop. Roscoe is a chocolate Lab and Eddie is a rough-coated Jack Russell Terrier.

We work a lot with antlers. The Lab waits under the drill press and gobbles up the flute drillings like it's bacon, then sits impatiently hoping my husband will drill through the side of the blank (instant chew toy instead of pen). Does anyone else have dogs who do this? Is it okay for him to eat/chew antler?

The JRT, who has never had a sick day in his eight years, suddenly has watery, runny eyes. Can dogs be allergic to antler dust? The humans wear masks, of course, but the dogs can't be convinced to take such precautions. So far the antlers we've been working with are very old ones (~15 years).

I'd hate to kick them out of the shop. They love being out there with me and they don't mind the lathe since it's so much quieter than most of the power tools we use.

Attachments

• IMG_0859.jpg
    IMG_0859.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_1486.jpg
    IMG_1486.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 139
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

At the agility dog trials my wife and I frequently attend, vendors always have antler on hand for sale. Dogs love them. I would guess, however, that antler dust would be just as harmful to a dog's lungs as it is to humans. My recommendation would be to keep them out of the shop when working with antler.

Terredax

Banned
Absolutely, antler dust, just like any other dust, can be an irritant to us as well as dogs. They are much more sensitive to their surroundings, than we are.

As for chewing antler, it depends who you prefer to take advice from. Dogs have chewed antler for years, however, recent studies show negative effects from this practice, and antler can splinter (more so in old antler since it dries out) causing additional injuries.

I prefer the man-made chew snacks, over antler, to eliminate any potential problems.
I also get the Made in USA with USA ingredients products with a proven record. Many pets develop health issues and even die from laced, imported ingredients. Look at Blue Buffalo in the headlines right now.

The best thing, is to make the snacks, and even food, for your pets.

Ambidex

Antler dust bad...shavings and antler chews are fine per my veterinarian. That was her advice for my chocolate lab anyway. I avoid giving him anything splintery though, so mostly fresher sheds.

Last edited:

Rifleman1776

Can't answer your question. But, as an aside, I'll toss in an interesting dog/antler story. My best friend had a large pit bull he allowed to run loose. Almost daily the dog brought back some antler the next morning. My friend has cartons full of antlers. Some looked like 'drops' from the woods. Others had obviously been harvested from deer hunters had taken. I would like to have a dog like that for a few weeks. He could supply enough antler for a years worth of turning.

deeceedub

Thank you all for your input. I was pretty sure that would be the answer I'd get, I was just hoping it wasn't. The boys will be so sad to be locked out but I don't want them sick in any way.

I was driving home last night through 6666 Ranch country and saw probably 50+ whitetail deer. All I could think of (other than 'please don't run across the road in front of me') was how many antlers had to be out there just going to waste. Wish I had an antler-scavenging dog :)

Burl, those are beautiful dogs in your avatar pic.

jcm71

Burl, those are beautiful dogs in your avatar pic.

Thanks. They are Vizslas (Hungarian Pointers). Great dogs but high drive and energetic. Definitely not apartment dogs.

WriteON

Welcome aboard. LABS!!! they will win an obedient contest and drag you down the steps on the way out :biggrin:

Seriously I would keep both out off the shop. The airborne dust is not good. The floor is full of brass filings, dust, dirt..whatever.

deeceedub

Yes, when people ask me about Labs I always tell them that IF you can control the urge to kill the puppy that you will feel every day for the first three years...you will end up with the best dog on the planet. But they will definitely test your patience those first three years. They chew up EVERYTHING. LITERALLY. EVERYTHING. But I love my Roscoe and wouldn't hurt him for anything, so I guess no more shop time for the boys.

Top Bottom