A question for the panel....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdog

Is there a difference in the kits sold by the different suppliers? I am new at this and have been using PSI kits. They sent me the free DVD that got me interested. Looks like some of the same styles are called by different names depending on the seller. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Some are basically the same (Atlas, Patriot, and Polaris come to mind), but quality and plating options vary greatly by manufacturer.

vick

CSUSA and Berea are the best and then in last plast is PSI. Just my opinion based on the few kits I have used from them.

woodpens

I have a pretty strong opinion on this one. CSU and Berea are the best. Arizona Silhouette sells Berea kits and is a good alternative. PSI and Woodturningz are at the other end of the spectrum.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I have to agree with the majority. CUSA sells excellent kits. They have no resellers; you buy direct from them. Berea kits are also excellent. Berea does use resellers, which often offer less expensive prices. Beartoothwoods.com and ArizonaSilhouette.com are Berea resellers, both are easy to do business with.

Firefyter-emt

I don't know about all of you, but I do not care for the Berea slimlines. I went back to the PSI's. My biggest complaint with the Berea kit was the loose CB on them. The PSI's are nice and tight. I had to shim the Berea's with a thin strip of post it note on the Berea kits. I have started getting them from Ryan and am happy with them and the service. The cigars he has are the Berea ones and I picked up one of the "classic" flat tops that I have not put togather yet. Just my take on it, most are lower lines too, but the CB on the slimline is just not aceptable to me.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
PSI's one shining star is their slimline and comfort (a derivative of the slimline) in Titanium plating. Buy them from Ryan, pricing is decent and the pen is the best Cross out there. (Yes, I believe I HAVE tried them all!)

GBusardo

I agree that PSI's Slimlines are nicer than the Berea and Woodturningz has great prices and they are awesome to deal with. Also, WoodpenPro has 10K Comforts for 2.79 each, before quantity discounts. I was not too crazy about the Woodpenpro Chrome platings though.
Have fun
Gary

huntersilver

I have never found PSI to be that great. Once when I ordered some items from them, the shipment never came through. Even though I worked with their shipping and billing department to determine what happened, it was a big hassle to get a credit for the lost shipment. They definitely did not believe that I did not receive the package and treated me from that perspective.
Never had any issues with CSUSA, they are great to work with.

Firefyter-emt

I will not order from PSI, Ryan @ Woodturningz can get anything from the PSI or Hut catalouge. From what I and others have seen it is hard to go wrong. Like I said, I have not done a lot of the new kits, and although I have "grown up" and out of the slimlines, I am still making them as I am building my inventory for re-sale later and I hope they will sell nice. One odd thing I have found though. The tubes are shorter in the PSI kit. The "best fit" is a Berea tube in the nib end and the PSI tube in the cap (or 2 berea tubes.) For some odd reason the tubes are just a hair too short. I pressed the 1st one in "close" to the line and it was a hair too far at that point [:(!] But I have plenty spare berea tubes. With the longer tubes, the CB fits perfect, if they are sitting on the press line they are a bit loose too! These are the fancy ones btw..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom