A question from a newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am just getting started in the world of turning. actually its been to cold to do anything and am in process of trying to get shop wired. But anyways to my dumb question...Do I need just 1 mandrel and different size spacers or do I have to buy different mandrels too? I am going to start with slim line as they look the easiest but would like to build a variety of different styles, thats why i want to know if the spacers all fit 1 mandrel or if i need to buy seperate ones for each style of pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shull

First off...Welcome

You only need 1 mandrel and then each different pen style uses different bushings (spacers).
There are different mandrels but if you stick with one supplier ie: Woodcraft or Craft Supplies, then you should have no problem with the basic types of pens.

Pen Maker

If your starting with slimlines then you only need the 'A' mandrel. Mine came with spacers. Note that all spacers are not alike. Each kit you order should give you information on which drills and spacers to order. You will need a 7mm drill for the slimline kits.

Thanks for the info...now if weather will straighten up so I can do the electrical I will try to get started....Have most everything I need to get started except the small stuff for lathe...only nice days we have had lately are the days I work..Oh well

broitblat

There are two basic mandrel sizes, A and B. Some of the kits sold by Berea and their re-sellers use the B mandrel, but only some ( and a few of the kits have bushing available for either mandrel). As far as I know, none of the kits sold by the other importers use the B.

-Barry

Top Bottom