A question for the Majestic turners...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

andrewleeheck

Was anyone else thrown off by the different diameters on each end of the lower tube? After turning one (as my personal pen, no less) from an exquisite stabilized spalted hackberry blank, everything initially seemed fine. But over the course of the next day I began to notice that one end was noticeably proud of the hardware. A customer probably would not have noticed or minded, but I certainly did.

After the fact, I verified that the coupler ring is 0.596 (in) and shoulder on the lower cap assembly measures 0.577. [Admittedly I didn't check the bushing reference chart in the IAP library before diving in, and the measurements are indeed consistent with mine] Clearly this would make a crucial difference during assembly, and possibly even during shaping the barrel.

Yes, I feel a little stupid, but I looked back over the included instructions and there was no mention of the different end sizes. As a compulsive directions-reader, I definitely would have picked up on it if it were mentioned.

Can anyone validate me here??? Just knowing I'm not the only one is somehow comforting (I know...quite existential, eh?).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodgraver

Andrew, there was a similar thread about Cigar Pens the other day and lots of folks chimed in about this very problem with that kit. I guess I learned that lesson on that one, now I measure the bushings and kit before I do anything. I then lay out the bushings in proper arrangement along side my blank so I can be sure to make the best choice for orientation. I have to admit I did not even look at the instructions, I find my method of measuring just avoids that problem...but I probably should read them :)

Jim

Rick P

Majestics are not the only kit that you have to watch! And yes I have assembled more than one pen only to look at it, do my best Homer Simpson impersonation and start over.

Just wait a Triton and a Jr Gent are have the diameters opposite of each other!

76winger

Are you talking the big Majestic or the Jr?

I've made several of each, but they've all come out pretty close to right-on with the bushings I got for them.

Last edited:

andrewleeheck

Are you talking the big Majestic or the Jr?

I've made several of each, but they've all come out pretty close to right-on with the bushings I got for them.

The big Majestic. I'm glad it has worked out for you--I fully concede that there are probably many (what my techie friends call) "ID-10-T" errors involved that have nothing to do with the equipment or hardware.

As an aside, I'm not surprised that a Central Indiana turner is on top of things...must be in the water, er...cornfields (I'm originally from Sheridan).

PenMan1

Can't this be fixed by just knocking out the hardware on the blank and flipping it over?

IMHO, the Majestic bushings that I have are almost impossible to invert. The center bush is a single piece bushing. The bottom tube will not fit onto the top half of the bushing and vise versa. Same with the top and bottom bushings.

Am I missing something?

Respectfully submitted.

andrewleeheck

Can't this be fixed by just knocking out the hardware on the blank and flipping it over?

IMHO, the Majestic bushings that I have are almost impossible to invert. The center bush is a single piece bushing. The bottom tube will not fit onto the top half of the bushing and vise versa. Same with the top and bottom bushings.
QUOTE]

It's not that I inverted the bushings per se...it's that I didn't realize the opposite ends of the lower tube were different sizes. I think I just wasn't paying much attention. (hence, the ID-10-T error code)

And you are completely correct--I probably could have just flipped it over, but I wasn't really happy with the finish anyway so I just undressed it and started over with new tubes. Silver lining: I salvaged 100% of the hardware (even the plastic insert)!

Last edited:

rherrell

This is what happens when you rely on bushings. Measure all the hardware before you start, write it down and keep it by your lathe while turning.

I only use bushings to hold the blank, I always use calipers for determining the final diameter.

KBs Pensnmore

I too find some instructions don't have very good details, also I find that on some pens, the bush diameter are fairly close. To get around this problem I made 3 new bushes, that had a long and a short end that corresponded with the length of the upper and lower blanks. No more ID-10-T.
Kryn

cwolfs69

This is what happens when you rely on bushings. Measure all the hardware before you start, write it down and keep it by your lathe while turning.

I only use bushings to hold the blank, I always use calipers for determining the final diameter.

ditto, the bushings only hold the part and give you a general guide to get the blank close to size. for a good fit and transition between blank and component, the finish has to be measured and contoured specifically for the pen. different pens will need a different radius, square edge etc on the end of the blank. measuring is the only way to make sure that you have it correctly. your sight, feel and smell can lead you astray.

randyrls

Andrew, there was a similar thread about Cigar Pens the other day and lots of folks chimed in about this very problem with that kit.

Jim and ALL; I have a loose leaf binder with the instruction sheets for all the pens I make. I write down on the sheet any problems, or gotcha's for that kit. The sheet has the best fitting drill bit for wood and acrylic. Tube lengths and sizes and the thickness of the finished blank.

gbpens

Most pen styles I turn have tapered or slightly tapered barrels. if I do not remember the exact circumference of each end I use a digital caliper to measure the hardware I need to match. That caliper is the most valuable tool in the shop.

Top Bottom