Question on Gents and Jr. Gents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick_1853

Is the threading on the Gentleman's pen and Jr. Gentleman's pen metal or pastic? Just asking out of curiosity. I ordered some El Grandes and kept breaking the threading after a while since it was plasctic, so I want to stay with metal if possible.

Patrick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary

Sorry to say Patrick...they are plastic as well.

Originally posted by patrick_1853
<br />Is the threading on the Gentleman's pen and Jr. Gentleman's pen metal or pastic? Just asking out of curiosity. I ordered some El Grandes and kept breaking the threading after a while since it was plasctic, so I want to stay with metal if possible.

Patrick

patrick_1853

What about the Baron? Also, since the statesmen is just like the gentleman's, does this apply to it as well?

Patrick

woodpens

I believe the correct answer is metal and plastic for the Gents, Statesman and Baron. Plastic on plastic is a problem and metal on metal is a problem. One of the two pieces needs to have some give for a smooth fitting cap.

patrick_1853

Jim,
What you are saying may be what I'm trying to get at. On the El Grande isn't there a plastic to plastic thread? If so then this was the problem. On the El Grande that I used personally for a while, it got to the point that the cap could basically free spin because the threads had stripped. The metal/plastic combination makes sense. If it was metal/metal then it would be to hard to get it to thread smoothly and easily. With plastic/plastic, for me its too easy to mess up the threads. Also, which is more popular on the Jr. Gent, posting cap or non posting cap?

woodscavenger

When I was ordering my first FP kit I was leaning to the Jr Gent. BB talked me into the Baron kit because he felt the screw mechanism was smoother with fewer catches. Not having used the others, I am not sure how it compares but the one I finished last night (no photos yet) is smooth! I agree with the metal-metal issue. Hopefully these threads with last. I did this one with desert Ironwood and it looks great. Some of the nurses actually squealed when they saw it.

woodpens

Patrick,

I have also had some problems with the El Grande threads. People tend to tighten them too much, and eventually the centerband loses its adhesion to the barrel. I've also had people pull it apart without even trying to unscrew it.

It has been my experience that people like the posting Jr Gent better than the non-posting. I feel that way myself. Lately, I have been using a Jr Statesman all the time, and I have grown accustomed to a non-posting cap. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, and it does seem to draw more attention to my pen. [:)]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by patrick_1853
<br />Is the threading on the Gentleman's pen and Jr. Gentleman's pen metal or pastic? Just asking out of curiosity. I ordered some El Grandes and kept breaking the threading after a while since it was plasctic, so I want to stay with metal if possible.

Patrick

Patrick,

I've had the same problem. I feel that my problem was in pressing the nib coupler (plastic threads) into the tube during assembly. I made a press block to take the pressure off the threads while assembling the pen, and I have had far fewer problems. You may also want to consider the Ligero, which I consider an upgrade of the El Grande. FYI, you can buy the nib couplers direct from Berea.

Hope this helps,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom