Question: Does this technique sound familiar?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dachshund1

Colleagues:

I'm hoping someone can jump start my stalled memory.

I seem to recall a technique whereby colored tints (perhaps alcohol-based inks or dyes) were used to create swirling, multi-colored patterns on brass pen tubes prior to casting - producing a sort of "tie-dyed" effect.

Moreover, I could have sworn a "how-to" tutorial on said technique was housed in our very own IAP library archives.

Evidently, neither is true and, after much searching, I now suspect early onset dementia. Can anyone shed some light - or should I go ahead and make an appointment with the neurologist? :hypnotized:

In advance, thanks kindly.

Terry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Terry

Bob in SF did a post or two on a similar technique he used. Search through his posts for that and similar ideas he used on slim line pens.

dachshund1

Thanks for all the useful information, gents. Much appreciated!

I hadn't thought about working on something other than the actual tube. As I recall, the brass surface causes the colors to "bleed" together in almost random patterns. Does the paper (or varying the type of paper, perhaps?) allow you more control over the process? The last two images look like it was artfully "designed." Very creative!

Terry

Top Bottom