Question on Corn Cob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fleabit

I have been attempting to turn a cob pen, and have run into end blow outs. When I look at the blow out section, it looks to me as if the CA hasnt been soaking in. How much CA should it take to stabalize the cob?

Also, is it possible to put a tenon in the cob? To me it looks as if there is not enough "wood" to handle a tenon (ie Designer kit).

Any info would be a great help.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

This is the way I keep the ends on. I glue in the tube with thick CA. I then soak both ends with thin CA. I then turn the cob down but stop short so that I have an extra 1/32 wall thickness. I take the blanks off the mandrel and put them on a 1/8" dowel. I put thin CA all over the cob. This will stabilize the final diameter and will also soak down to the brass. I don't use accelerator on the last soak. I just give it plenty of time for it to set. I don't want any white "foam" in any kernel pockets, and I want the CA to really soak all the way in. I haven't blown any out in the last 20 or so attempts. I use the Woodcraft European kit all the time and it requires a tenon. No problem with it.

Rich

G

You might be selecting cobs that are too small in diameter.
You want a cob with a "pith core" about the same diameter as the tube in your kit.
No 2 cobs are alike so it's hard to tell you the exact size.
These aren't manufactured blanks so there are a lot of variables.
THat's where improvizaton comes in.
I included a picture of a Euro Style and a Perfect fit,
Both require either a tenon or parting off the cob.
(That gets a little scary)

2005131105155_corncobbcrannat%20005.jpg
<br />

Fleabit

Thanks all. Figured I was being too stingy on the glue. I am already working with the larger cobs, but I have some that are even bigger so I will give them a test run.

Thanks again for the help.

G

Be careful on selecting a cob that's too big.
Sometimes you run out of "Kernel". When that happens you'll understand.

PenPauli

Yeah, Thats exactly what happened to me. I ended up
turning it all the way down to the pith. (I think thats
what its called). Oh well time to find more cobs.

low_48

I still have a lot of cobs from my fall harvest/pickup. All slender ones. $.75 each plus the usual flat rate envelope shipping.

Rich

G

Originally posted by low_48
<br />I still have a lot of cobs from my fall harvest/pickup. All slender ones. $.75 each plus the usual flat rate envelope shipping.

Rich
Are thise stabilized?

Darley

Originally posted by low_48
<br />I still have a lot of cobs from my fall harvest/pickup. All slender ones. $.75 each plus the usual flat rate envelope shipping.

Rich

I would not mine to try some but under certain conditions, Rich

Thanks

Serge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom