question on cork

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

penmaker1967

hi i have a custmer that wants a pen made out of cork. my question is how do i do this kind of pen and where do i get the supplies to do this type of pen. thanks for the help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I used wine bottle corks. Drill carefully and slowly, turn with sharp tool to close the size you want. Then get some of that mesh they use to sand dry wall joint compound. It sands cork very nicely. Saturate the cork with CA and sand and finish.

Attachments

• Pen 29-3 8-2008 400.JPG
    Pen 29-3 8-2008 400.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Pen 37 -3 8-2008 S.JPG
    Pen 37 -3 8-2008 S.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Pen 50-53 53 400 10-2008.JPG
    Pen 50-53 53 400 10-2008.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 147

jbswearingen

I used wine bottle corks. Drill carefully and slowly, turn with sharp tool to close the size you want. Then get some of that mesh they use to sand dry wall joint compound. It sands cork very nicely. Saturate the cork with CA and sand and finish.

Wow. Neat.

Is there risk of the CA cracking? The cork is compressible.

PaulDoug

I have not had any reports of it cracking. I gave the cork and redwood pens to my neighbor. The redwood was from wine barrel stave (they own a winery so I thought it was appropriate). They just told me awhile back they carry/use them all the time and have had no problem with them.

monark88

I have been thinking about doing a cork pen ever since I quit building rods. I still have a small supply that I kept for myself, of cork rings, burnt cork, and colored ones and wine corks.

You are so right, turn the cork with sanding media-sanding paper and what you suggested. All works. Merrick Tackle sells a cork drill if anyone here is going to do more that a few. they are a somewhat challenge to drill with a standard drill.

Russ

Jgrden

I have been thinking about doing a cork pen ever since I quit building rods. I still have a small supply that I kept for myself, of cork rings, burnt cork, and colored ones and wine corks.

You are so right, turn the cork with sanding media-sanding paper and what you suggested. All works. Merrick Tackle sells a cork drill if anyone here is going to do more that a few. they are a somewhat challenge to drill with a standard drill.

Russ
Here are some that were done by Grden's Art.

Cork Stags Leap 11-13-10 1.jpg

Cork Alexander Valley Completed 3 A+.jpg

Cork Stags Leap 11-12-10 2.jpg

PaulDoug

Thanks John, but you have figured out how to keep the printing on the cork. I've tried several without success. Guess I'll have to try some more.

I use a sharp brad point bit to drill cork. Works pretty good as long as the cork is supported well and I go slow.

Last edited:

PaulDoug

I never did. The first one I turned I kept saturating it with CA as I turned it down. Then the next on I didn't saturate it until I got almost to the diameter I wanted. The one I saturated all the way had big chunks come off and I almost lost it. The second one the cork came off in little tiny chunks. Worked better for me. I hope some day someone that stabilizes wood will throw a couple wine corks in the batch and see how it does. That might make it real easy to work with.

Last edited:

refueler1

Well, guess I will just have to give it a go then and see what happens. I'll try it on a slim first.

Top Bottom