Question on Center Bands

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron McKinley

A friend gave me a dozen slimline kits and I don't like the thin center band. So, I drilled a 7mm hole in a dozen or so wood blanks and rough-turned them. Today I tried one with the kits and after I got it assembled the center band is very loose. So, I measured the inside diameter of the kit's center band and found it is only 6.33mm. Is there anyway to make this work? Thanks.......Ron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

A friend gave me a dozen slimline kits and I don't like the thin center band. So, I drilled a 7mm hole in a dozen or so wood blanks and rough-turned them. Today I tried one with the kits and after I got it assembled the center band is very loose. So, I measured the inside diameter of the kit's center band and found it is only 6.33mm. Is there anyway to make this work? Thanks.......Ron

There are 2 ways to make it work RIGHT. One is to drill at 7 mm, then glue a section of tube in, thereby making a great fit. The other way is to drill at 1/4 inch instead of 7 mm. Also makes a great fit. It'll fit the mandrel perfectly, too.

Lenny

Keep in mind that when you drill a 7mm hole in a pen blank you then glue in a brass tube. The inside diameter of that tube is closer to what you want the i.d. of the center band to be.
Check out the many different ways to modify slimlines at Don Ward's site ...
http://www.redriverpens.com/articles

PenMan1

Good lesson learned.

By telling us that it measured only 6.33, you tipped you hand that you own calipers. Use them on EVERY TUBE AND AT EVERY PEN JOINT!

Now, I'll stop being such a butthead and tell you that "D" works well on most of the slim based sets, but measure, and don't trust instructions (or PenMan and others) that have been translated from Madrin to Cantonese to Tiwanese to french then german and then english.

VERY RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED as you have figured out your own issues...well done!

Last edited:
Top Bottom