Question on Breast Cancer Pen Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

candy1land

I've seen that many of you have made the breast cancer pen kit that goes on the Sierra's.

I was hoping someone could clarify the instructions for that kit for me.

The instructions say to flood the wood with thin CA and then insert and glue the brass tube.

I'm trying to visualize how that will work since the ribbon is a cut out and will have nothing against it to keep it in place while the thin ca dries?

I keep thinking I should glue the tube first and then flood the blank with the thin ca?

I'm only stuck on the first steps so if you can walk me thru it I would greatly appreciate it. I really want to make this pen kit.

Thanks,

Candy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

charlieg

I have never done a breast cancer pen, but I presume it is like the American flag, which I have done. On the flag, you put all the pieces together and wrap the outside with tape (I used blue painters tape). Once this is done, flood the inside of the blank with thin CA glue. When it sets up, glue the barrel in place, pull off the tape and coat the outside with glue. Now you're ready to turn.

candy1land

I have never done a breast cancer pen, but I presume it is like the American flag, which I have done. On the flag, you put all the pieces together and wrap the outside with tape (I used blue painters tape). Once this is done, flood the inside of the blank with thin CA glue. When it sets up, glue the barrel in place, pull off the tape and coat the outside with glue. Now you're ready to turn.

What type of glue did you use to glue the barrel in place?

Is it one of my Kits or one from Ken Nelson?

If it is one of my kits the ribbon would press fit in the opening with that little insert in the ribbon. I would just use a small amount of Thin CA to keep it from falling out.
You would do this without the brass tube.

Now you can glue the tube in as you would with any other pen blank.

candy1land

It's from kallenshaan woods. The ribbon moves around a lot when it's in the space it goes in. That was why I was asking. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to make sure it doesn't get too far out of place when I put the thin CA on it. With no tube behind it - it almost falls through the cut out.

byounghusband

Try wrapping the tube with wax paper and then slide it into the body barrel. (if it will fit) Set the ribbon in and apply a couple drops of thin CA to hold the ribbon to the body barrel. Slide the tube out and then use medium Ca to glue the tube back in.

candy1land

Try wrapping the tube with wax paper and then slide it into the body barrel. (if it will fit) Set the ribbon in and apply a couple drops of thin CA to hold the ribbon to the body barrel. Slide the tube out and then use medium Ca to glue the tube back in.

Nice approach! I will see if the paper will fit.

Top Bottom