Question on blanks for my big order

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

Please indulge my lack of experience.

I have had very limited experience with stabilized blanks but I am leaning toward using them for this order. They are more expensive but I assume that would be offset with greater consistency between different species as well as ease in finishing. Since I am not going for a super mirror like gloss, I may be able to get the shine I need through a 12,000 mm surface on stabilized blanks. Does that make sense or am I searching for the legendary silver bulle?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

Stablized is the way to go. Each blank will be as unique as any other "regular" wood, but they are easier to turn and shine to a brilliant gloss.

Rmartin

gerryr

I don't think you can get a good answer without stating what kind of wood you're planning to use. If you're planning to use a burl of any kind, remember you encounter voids and inclusions even in stabilized wood. There may be a less expensive alternative to getting a good finish than using stabilized wood.

Dario

I have minimal experience with stabilized wood but I got good results with the ones Jeff sent me which is from BearToothWoods. One of them I almost didn't finish but still did because it was not good enough for me.

You can give it a try but you are the only one who can answer whether it is good enough or not...our standards vary.

Good luck and congrats!!!

redfishsc

regardless of how shiney you polish stabilized wood, even if polished up to 12,000 micromesh followed by some 1/2 micron diamond polishing paste to a "clean your teeth in the reflection" shine, the pen will look more "dull" after two weeks of use. Still fairly smooth and will be fine for many people, but I prefer the finish to stay slick and glossy, which can only be done with film finishes like lacquer or CA.

Remember that you are turning wood AND plastic. Wood swells when moisture (hand grime) contacts it. Plastic doesn't. So you have a "halfway" point you meet in a stablized pen.

When pricing a job, keep the cost of the blank in mind. If the blank cost you a buck or two more, charge a buck or five more.

You WILL get duds. I have had several stablilized blanks that had voids-- just the nature of the beast.

Aside from that, stabilized pens are more durable and have a nicer weight in the hand (especially for smaller euro or slimline types).

Fred

I have turned many stabilized blanks of various species. I have yet to have one that is effected by water, oil, dirt, grease, or anything else. The materials used to stabilize the blanks does lend itself to easier finishing, but it does not always 'shine' as well unless you put a finish of some sort on it. Voids are easy to repair with CA and some fine dust mixed into the area if necessary. I find that the stabilized material turns far better and easier as well.

It may save you time in the long run, but like REDFISH mentioned it can remain a bit dull. [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom