Question before turning a gator bone blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe Burns

Im fixing to turn a Bayou Mist Gator Bone pen blank this weekend I purchased from exotics.com a while back. The color is a very light blue or teal color.

I have a couple of questions before I start.

1. I understand I should back paint the blank before I glue the brass tubes in place. Not having done this before what colors would be best to use. I have black, white, and silver on hand. Should I use another color?

2. I also understand I should apply a CA finish to the blank when finishing due to the bone in the blank. I'm used to using CA to finish wood. Use the same techniques here on this blank? How many coats of CA should I use here? I normally use 10 - 12 for wood.

Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Will be placing the blank on a Jr. Statesman.

Joe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

Gator bone is always worth it. Have the best luck with carbide tools but Hss works too. Any color paint will do, lighter color produces lighter end result and darker, darker result. Respirator of some sort is a must, bone dust is nasty and gator carries a smell as you may expect. normal ca technique will do just fine, coats up to you. Good luck and will look forward to seeing the finished product!

snowman56

Carbide is not necessary the smell is not that pleasant. Ca works just fine.I have turned several hundred.Started with fresh kills and boiled them then dried them.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
All good advice. My only additional comment, use thin CA for the first several coats. That way it will reinforce the bone, if it needs it. Even IF it does NOT need it, the CA can do no harm.

tkbarron

Hey Joe,

jmbaker is spot on with colors. Different colors give different effects. If you like the existing pigment color then use a color of paint comparable to the blank. Also, I wouldn't bother painting the tubes if you can get a decent coat inside the blank.

I use both HSS and carbide for turning gator blanks. HSS will need frequent sharpening but does work ok.

Use plenty of thin CA as you turn. I recommend dousing the bone once they are rounded and then at least once more before getting to final depth. A CA finish is highly recommended. Just take your time and be sure to use compressed air and maybe a toothbrush to clean any dust before applying final coats. Expect 15-20 coats for a mirror CA finish.

Please post pictures when you're done!!

Tom

Top Bottom