Question before I cut first Celtic Cross Pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snatiep

Hello Everyone!

This afternoon I made Randall Smith's slicing jig to cut some blanks for the Celtic Cross pens.

Cutting the thin slices looks pretty straightforward, but when it comes time to cut the actual blank, should I cut all the way through or not?

Thanks for any advice!

Nate

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

VisExp

Lining everything up is easier if you do not cut all the way through the blank.

Before you cut your slices, make a cut in a scrap blank. Then when you cut your slices you can use that cut to confirm your slices are the correct thickness.

Rudy Vey

I always cut them through, but I also used a glue-up jig, so things lined up pretty well. Make sure your slices are exact the thickness of the cutting loss made by your saw blades kerf thickness.

snatiep

Thanks for the replies!

Rudy, I tried to do a search but came up with nothing on glue-up jigs. Could you please share with me what you use for one?

Thanks for any info!

Nate

OldWrangler

Make a jig to save having to cut all the way through. It is all so much easier if you leave 1/8" still attached. Make sure your insert is the same thickness as the saw kerf. That makes all the difference.

Rudy Vey

I used some aluminum angle profiles which I lined with thin plastic foil, so the glue would not stick to the aluminum. It was nothing special, but it kept the pieces aligned. I had a stop block in the profile, and put my first piece in there, then applied the glue (CA) to both sides of the slice and then added this and the other part of the blank - pressed all together with small clamps against the stop block and the profile. Worked for me.

Top Bottom