question on barrel trimmers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I have some of the woodturners catalog partiot pen kits. The drill size is 3/8". However, my barrel trimmer is the 7mm size. In the catalog they have several different shaft sizes but none are shown as 3/8". Which size, in mm or letter size, relates to a 3/8" drill bit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dw

Jim,

Sometimes you can't find a barrel trimmer shaft for certain bits or certain pens. No one makes a barrel trimmer for every diameter tube or every pen kit.

What you have to do in such situations is drill a 7mm hole in a 2" piece of scrap wood, glue in an extra brass tube and then turn the wood down to the <b> interior</b> size of the brass tube for the...what was it?...the patriot pen. You're making a shim, in other words.

Lots of times I'll use the shim as a platform to practice a finish technique and then I'll save the especially if I intend to make more pens of the same kind.

Hope that answers your question.

txbob

Jim,
Take a spare 7 mm tube and prepare a blank as if you were making a pen. Turn it down until it just fits inside the Patriot kit's tube, i.e. nomially 3/8" outside diameter.

Slide this turned down blank over the shaft of your trimmer and inside the Patriot pen blank tube. Much easier and cheaper than trying to find the right size adapters.

Keep on turning,
Bob S. in beautiful downtown Riverton, WY.

debturnswood

HI all, I bought a kit from woodturningz.com that has one trimmer head with four different size shafts. It works on 7, 8, 10 mm and 3/8" you just take out a little allen screw thingy and put the size of shaft into the trimming head for what ever kit you are dealing with. It was under twenty dollars I think ( the allen wrench in even included ) write ryan@woodturningz.com, be sure to tell him deb sent ya!

Daniel

The trimmer you got from Ryan is the same one sold in the CSUSA Catalog.
I have one and it is my favorite.
I am going to put a post under business concerning this thread, give it a peek.

Marc Phillips

I have the 7 Piece Barrel Trimmer Kit on my web site....

Includes 7mm, 8mm, 3/8", and 10mm pilot shafts, a 3/4" squaring cutter , allen wrench and instructions.... [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom