Question on this alcohol drying topic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimr

I just got a gallon of denatured alcohol at my local hardware store for $8.99. Not to bad considering what I have been seeing on prices. I have my first small bowl soaking now. If I got this right, tomorrow I should remove it wrap it in a paper bag with the inside of the bowl not covered and let it dry for about a week. Rough turning wall thickness is about 3/8-1/2 inch. Assuming this is about right on the procedure, my question is- What is the theory, or fact, behind this method? Does the alcohol replace natural water and then it will evaporate faster than water or is there some other black magic process at work here?

Fred in NC

I have not tried it yet, but your description seems to be right.

Dave Smith puts them on a rack, so there is air circulation to the unwrapped inside of the bowl. If you don't have a rack I guess you can prop it up somehow.

Kurt Aebi

Jim, The alcohol binds with the water molecules in the wood and when the alcohol evaporates at its much higher rate, the wood left behind is drier by the amount of alcohol that has evaporated. I believe this is the principle behind it in a nutshell. Look up Dave's article for more clarity. I do, however, believe that this evaporation principle is why the blank will loose more weight during the first few days of drying and looses less as time goes by and the alcohol is pretty much gone. I hope this helps you figure out the "magic" of the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom