Question/Advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ukcats35

I have a problem and it is driving me crazy...
I have a newish rikon midi lathe. Recently, like this weekend recently, when turning pens, there is a high pitch squeal when I put chisel to material. It does not occur near the head stock, or really on the first blank (cap), but occurs on the bottom half of the blank or body of the pen (closer to the tailstock). My tools are sharp, and the noise occurs with both my chisels and carbide tools. It also occurs with very light pressure. I am using a mandrel saver and just purchased new bushings hoping that would fix the issue---but no luck. Could it possible be the mandrel interacting with the bushings when pressure is applied? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Like I said, it just started and is annoying to say the least.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BeeAMaker

Check that your tail-stock and head stock are aligned. If the points don't match center, you will have a wobble at the tail-stock causing a chatter.

Imaginethat

I can understand the frustration, I have had the same problem. I believe this is caused by vibration and the further from the headstock the worse it gets. A couple things I found work a little better. When I reduce the amount of the tool in contact with the surface helps some. But what works best is to turn one part of the pen blank at a time or like I have learned in this forum is to turn between centers (TBC). That is having a 60 degree dead center in the head stock and a 60 degree live center in the tail stock.

I'm not sure but I believe the larger lathes don't vibrate because on the larger and heavier tail stock.

Others here may have a better answer since I'm still rather new to wood turning.

Woodchipper

I had the same problem this morning. I noticed a "rattling" noise when I put the tool to the wood (pecan). The sound diminished a bit when I backed off on the tool. I finally stopped the lathe, thinking I was putting too much pressure on the wood. I noticed that the quill had backed out a bit and the end of the mandrel was loose on the 60 degree live center. Cranked the quill down and made sure the locking lever was secure. Cured the problem.
I have one of the long mandrels that can handle two blanks at once. I'm going to Woodcraft and see if I can sneak a mandrel into the shop that had the adjustable shaft. Maybe the Easter bunny will leave one in my Easter basket.

Last edited:

Ambidex

I don't know if it's a rikon thing or not. I also have a rikon and have the same issue, but not on every turn. It seems to happen every 10-15 blanks and more often with acrylics. It only occurs during the roughing phase for me and doesn't last long enough for me to get too crazy so I just deal with it. I have tried lightening up the pressure on the cuts..doesn't matter...and the mandrel pressure...doesn't help...If it bothers me too much I'll throw on the headphones and cancel the squeal out with some music.:rolleyes:

mmayo

Me too...

I don't know if it's a rikon thing or not. I also have a rikon and have the same issue, but not on every turn. It seems to happen every 10-15 blanks and more often with acrylics. It only occurs during the roughing phase for me and doesn't last long enough for me to get too crazy so I just deal with it. I have tried lightening up the pressure on the cuts..doesn't matter...and the mandrel pressure...doesn't help...If it bothers me too much I'll throw on the headphones and cancel the squeal out with some music.:rolleyes:

I have the lathe and will use it for now, but eventually a new brand will live in my shop. The midi is newish to me so it will be while. I think my head and tailstop are aligned, at least they were. I will check and re-align if needed. I thought it was me, thanks.

leehljp

Member Liaison
The squeal can come from several parts that are loose, but the root cause will more than likely be loose tail stock in one form or another. As mentioned make sure the tail stock is locked down tight; Next make sure the hand wheel has engaged the live center to the mandrel or TBC bushings/brass-blank.

In an effort to prevent over tightening the rear hand wheel/live center to the mandrel, leaving it too loose causes its own problems.

There could be and are other reasons, but these two that I am "familiar" with.

Top Bottom