Question about this wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cherie

Has anyone ever had problems with "flat"spots while turning Sumac? I have been trying to make a pen for someone who sent me the blanks and wanted pens done, but always when I get down to the sanding part, It get a flat spot where the core is soft. How can I help this??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

Cherie, are the blanks stabilized? Sumac is a low density wood and may have to be stabilized before turning. Also, are you turning between centers or using a mandrel?

renowb

If it isn't stabilized you can send it to a vendor to do that, or for a quick fix, use a thin CA to soak it.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am using a mandrel. This is the second blank I am having problems with. What do I need to stabilize the wood?

This is not uncommon with soft woods and mandrels. The mandrel is flexing with the pressure of sanding AND / OR the soft wood (of course) is sanding down too quickly.

Stabilizing should help quite a bit.

TBC does eliminate some but too much pressure in sanding can still cause it.

ANOTHER Suggestion: get a few wide popcicle sticks and glue small pieces of the different grits of sandpaper on them. (You can glue a piece to each side). The Popcicle stick sanding will spread the sanding pressure equally laterally and should help considerably. Apply only light but continuous pressure. In situations like this, take a little more time in the sanding process - maybe 10 minutes or so extra per pen. There are woods that require that extra TLC, :biggrin: refuse to be treated like other woods :eek: :wink: - and then turn out just great! :biggrin:

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I should have mentioned in the first post: A quick fix on softer woods - Do as Bill Reno said - soak it in CA. Wet it with CA, let it dry a moment or two, sand down, Soak again, sand down. This works well on very soft wood. Only sand down about 1/2 mm at a time and soak good.

Use that method along with using the wide popcicle sanding stick and you should be good to go. Oh, not mentioned above - on soft woods in this situation, don't go below 400 sandpaper. It may take a minute longer but worth it.

okiebugg

Substitute

Also helps to finish turning with a sharp skew so less sanding is needed in the first place.

You can substitute nail files for non agressive sanding. You can purchase a box of 100 for about $2.00 at the beauty supply.

Staghorn Sumac is more stringy than Willow. I use a small SHARP 3 1/4"Sorby bowl gouge for turning to about 1 1/2 mm oversize then a 60 grit skew J/K 60 grit sandpaper to close to size then finish sanding. Don't get it hot or the grain seems to stay raised.

You can use narrow abrasive shop rolls (3/4" to 1" to remove the wood quickly until you get to the oversize. This is only my own opinion and not to take away from others comments, but it works for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom