Question about wedding gifts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bowl Slinger

I am a hobbyist when it comes to turning and do not know what the pulse of the general public is on a pen set as a wedding gift. My wife and I have different opinions on the subject (go figure) so I decided to get a few opinions from you gentlemen that sell to the public. I have seen that many of the members have posted pictures on here and for the most part pure black and white seem to be what most people gravitate to but I like the black/gold and white/gold TruStone Matrix blanks. So back to the main question. What are the most popular colors and kit for a wedding set? :confused:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Maybe I shouldn't state what I'm about to because of the feedback it'll get, but imo I'd think that you could think of a better wedding gift for a couple just starting out.
Even for a couple that have been married before, I just don't think that a pen or pen set is an approiate wedding gift. I'm sorry but that's my opinion.
Len

Andrew_K99

From what I have read most of the wedding pens that have been made have been for use in the wedding, for the guest book signing or for signing the marriage license. Unless you know they are pen people I might consider the above opinions.

AK

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Maybe I shouldn't state what I'm about to because of the feedback it'll get, but imo I'd think that you could think of a better wedding gift for a couple just starting out.
Even for a couple that have been married before, I just don't think that a pen or pen set is an approiate wedding gift. I'm sorry but that's my opinion.
Len
There is a time when I would have agreed with you. But, in today's world without specifics, you can't just say that. Here are a couple of reasons.

1. One or both of the newly weds might be divorced and have all or most of the usual stuff.

2. The couple could already be living together - I have known some to have even bought houses before they got married.

3. On of my wife's uncles gave us a really nice desk set that we had for years and still have one or two pieces. After 50 years of marriage we remember who gave us that. We wouldn't be able to remember what anyone else gave us except for my wife's stepfather who gave us a Polaroid Land Camera, neither of those would be especially great wedding gifts in a lot of cases.

Bowl Slinger

Thank you all for your input. However I know this couple very well and they are both professional people that do not want for anything. I know that they would like it because I made her mother and father an anniversary set last year and she went bonkers over it. So back to my original question. What are the most popular colors and kit for a wedding set?

I have done a few wedding sets for guest book signing. I ask the couple what they are looking for and make suggestions based on that. My niece wanted a pen to match the wedding colors, red and black, so I used a red jaspar truestone with black matrix on a black ti majestic. My nephew and his fiance wanted black and white, so they got black onyx and some kind of white, not sure if it was truestone, both on majestic. My favorite was a white alternate casein on a gold statesman.

My goal was to make pens that would be used for years after the wedding, always serving as a reminder of their day.

Bowl Slinger

I have done a few wedding sets for guest book signing. I ask the couple what they are looking for and make suggestions based on that. My niece wanted a pen to match the wedding colors, red and black, so I used a red jaspar truestone with black matrix on a black ti majestic. My nephew and his fiance wanted black and white, so they got black onyx and some kind of white, not sure if it was truestone, both on majestic. My favorite was a white alternate casein on a gold statesman.

My goal was to make pens that would be used for years after the wedding, always serving as a reminder of their day.

Thank you.

Andrew_K99

Sorry for the partial derail. For a wedding gift you can go at it one of two ways, match their wedding colours (or traditional black/white) or something specific for their tastes. The first is pretty easy, the second would show how much you know them as barbie pink wouldn't work for everyone :wink:

AK

Top Bottom