Question about turning the stars and tripes pen.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alxe24

I got the kit fot the emperor. So far I put togheter half the pen and in the next few days I'll finish it. I was reading an old article on Woodturning Mag about the making of this pen and they advise not to use tools to bring it to size it was recomended to use the 220 grit gouge.
What is your experience?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
ok, I'll fess up.

Because of the multiple coats of glue and the possibility that there may be a point of a star sticking up, my first pass is with sandpaper. (150)

THEN, due to pride, I turn the rest with a skew until I reach the desired size, then more sandpaper.

IF you have more brains than pride, you COULD use sandpaper throughout.

IF you DO use a tool, YOU will FEEL like a woodturner, unless you goof, then you will FEEL like an idiot.

YOUR CHOICE!!!

Oh, do make sure to pick up and use your skew SOMETIME the evening you make the pen. That way, when people ask what you used, you can honestly say, "I turned it yesterday and I used a skew!" (Not both at the same time, but no one REALLY asked THAT question!!!)

Yes, this IS a joke - no, I am not accusing anyone of doing this!

Rmartin

I agree with the others. Sandpaper first. Then I use a skew to 'clean' the sandpaper marks. This is more important with the piano pen to keep the holly clean. You shouldn't have a problem with the emperor, but I have run into trouble with the jr. gent 2. It's easy to run out of white stripes at the ends.

its_virgil

For me turning was not as difficult as the gluing. The stars are easy, the stripes took me shhh shhhh 3 tries to get the first one done. At 1/2 the kit price for the stripes barrel, I have the cost of 2 1/2 pens in my first one. But, it is a great looking pen, as are all of Ken's inlay kits.
do a good turn daily!
Don

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />For me turning was not as difficult as the gluing. The stars are easy, the stripes took me shhh shhhh 3 tries to get the first one done. At 1/2 the kit price for the stripes barrel, I have the cost of 2 1/2 pens in my first one. But, it is a great looking pen, as are all of Ken's inlay kits.
do a good turn daily!
Don

Don't worry Don, your secret's safe with us!!!

(As I am SURE you expected)
I've only broken ONE in the several pens I have made (It was, of course, slightly defective -after I finished with it

Mikey

I use my spindle gouge on the blanks. Sharp tool make the sanding almost unneccessary. Of course, your comfort level dictates what you use.

its_virgil

Thanks Ed, my secret is now out.
Don
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />For me turning was not as difficult as the gluing. The stars are easy, the stripes took me shhh shhhh 3 tries to get the first one done. At 1/2 the kit price for the stripes barrel, I have the cost of 2 1/2 pens in my first one. But, it is a great looking pen, as are all of Ken's inlay kits.
do a good turn daily!
Don

Don't worry Don, your secret's safe with us!!!

(As I am SURE you expected)
I've only broken ONE in the several pens I have made (It was, of course, slightly defective -after I finished with it

Randy_

I did a Jr. Statesman and at $50 for the blank, I couldn't afford to risk screwing it up so I chickened out and used the 220 gouge.

If I ever do another one, I will probably used my skew.

alxe24

Well I think I'll start with the paper at least to get an even surface and then depending on how I feel about it I might involve the metal to finish it.
Thanks for the responses and your confesion Don.
Regards,
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom