Question about tools and body parts.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

meganzski1987

I'm new to wood turning. I have already made a stool cause I'm to short for my husbands work bench. Well besides being verically challenged I'm well say developed in the chest department. Normally this isn't a problem except I have trouble turning because the tool handle will hit my chest. Any ideas how to over come this "problem"?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

Magan: Have your husband buy you a metal mini lathe. All you have to do is turn the wheel. If you need lathe tools, you buy the mini tools. About half the size of regular tools, and they work quite well for pen turning. Or, as a last resort, you have your husband hold the offending parts out of the way while you turn. Jim S

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I could come back with all sorts of smart arse answers but actually I think you may just need a higher stool to stand on.
However, I would get hubby ( or yourself )to make a 'platform' rather than a stool / step. This will give you a little movement so you can change positions while you turn.
For me ( and I think most others ) the end of the tool handle would be most comfortable if below the ribs.
Do you stand or sit while at the lathe?

Edit in; I would most definetley not shorten the tool handles. They are long for a reason and shortening could be dangerous, especially for a smaller person

Last edited:

Katya

Hi Megan! Welcome to the forum. You have a good question here. I'm on the short side too, and I've found that being at the correct height for the lathe makes a huge difference.

My lathe at home is not bad for me, but the ones at the guild are too high and it really throws me off. The platform idea is a very good one.. I used one when turning at a hands-on event. Just make sure it's wide and deep enough so that you can comfortably move around on it without fear of falling off it, and be sure to put a fatigue mat on top. It will make a big difference for you.
Cheers
Catherine

meganzski1987

The tool is about nipple height. I made the bench so it would slide under his work bench. I might have to figure out how this name a platform that is sturdy but is able to collapse down or get rid of the boobs.

RMayoIII

The tool is about nipple height. I made the bench so it would slide under his work bench. I might have to figure out how this name a platform that is sturdy but is able to collapse down or get rid of the boobs.

For sake of all that is good, do not, under any circumstances, "get rid of the boobs"! :eek:There are an exponential multitude of options to pursue prior to jumping to that conclusion!:rolleyes:

allisnut

I am more comfortable with the tool closer to waist level than mid-torso, but I am 6'4". I have a stool my daughter uses to get her up closer to the right height relative to the lathe. Try to get the tool handle lower on your body.

If it is a mini lathe, could you move it to a lower table for your use?

jbswearingen

Nipple height really doesn't mean much...that can change depending on your bra or whether you're even wearing one. Just sayin'.

Measure against your elbow. It won't sag with age.

:wink:

First double check your height, I don't think the stool height is correct. Take your left hand and place it on your right shoulder. IF your elbow of your left arm is even with the spindle height of the lathe then your set if not make adjustments to be so.
Now as far as your, ahem, endowments. You will want your tool handles LONGER. you and hubby will like that better because you will have far greater control of the tool. as well I think you are not standing correctly at the lathe. your body shouldn't be standing square to the bench. One leg in front of the other turned to one side or the other. Understand when at the lathe your kinda dancing because you don't stay in one spot. so Get hubby to make you more of a platform vs a stool and get to turning.

jttheclockman

Actually I am surprised no one has mentioned that you actually turn with tool on your side and not in front of you. You keep your arm 90 degrees to your body and use your body to control the cut with the tool resting against your body. I also suggest a platform so that you move with the cut or else you will find yourself rolling over with your tools and that is how catches can happen. You follow the sweet spot with your entire body. Yes we work on small blanks but proper techniques still should be followed. That is why tools have long handles. Just my opiniuon.:)

tommy2tone

It's kind of like shooting a shotgun from the hip. Imagine the tool as the stock of the weapon. The stock is at 90 degrees to your hip. You might have to adjust the tool up or down depending on height. But I hope that gives you a visual of what they are talking about..

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'm right handed....I have the handle of the tool in my right hand and my right elbow pretty tight to my body. I stand angled toward the lathe and the tool height is well below my chest.

Dan Hintz

Actually I am surprised no one has mentioned that you actually turn with tool on your side and not in front of you.
Yeppers. I do all of my pen turning with two tools only (surprising, right?)... a roughing gouge and a wide parting tool. Other than the parting tool being held straight out, the hand holding the gouge is on my hip. Endowment should make little difference...

I'm a bit different. My lathe is about 3" above elbow height. If I lower it I find myself bending over when I turn. My tool rest sits a little lower than most and the tool is under my elbow along my ribs and angled up to the tool rest. I also stand on a bit less than a 45 degree angle to the lathe. I know people that do turn sitting down and it works for them. I prefer to stand and for the big cuts I move from the ankles up so the tool stays steady and use more of just my arms for the smaller shaping cuts. Short version, maybe instead of lowering the lathe change the angle of approach of the tool.

Top Bottom