Question about TBC Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

So I've heard that there are TBC adapters available that allow you to use your existing bushings for a typical mandrel and put them on the TBC adapter so turn that way. Has anyone used these and where do you find them?

Also, I noticed the Classic Nib slimline TBC bushings have a long section that slides into the slimline tube. I was wondering if you could use these slimline TBC bushings as "adapters" and place your normal mandrel bushings on the slimline TBC bushings and turn that way?

I'd hate to have to start buying all new bushings to turn between centers for all of the types of pen kits I have but I am tired of warped/bent mandrels...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

You don't need an adapter. You need a dead center in the headstock and a 60* live center in the tailstock. Mount bushing with one barrel between centers and you are ready to go. Single barrel pens, such as the Sierra, are easiest.

lhowell

@lhowell
I just received an email notification from Arizona Silhouette which might interest you:

Arizona Silhouette: Turning Between Centers

I got this notice just moments ago ... have not tried this product ... I do my turning between centers without any bushings or adaptors.

Thanks! Just ordered one! I'll give it a try and see how it does. Hopefully it is machined pretty good so that the small shafts are straight and in-line with one another! I'll probably do a followup once I receive them.

jleiwig

So I've heard that there are TBC adapters available that allow you to use your existing bushings for a typical mandrel and put them on the TBC adapter so turn that way. Has anyone used these and where do you find them?

Also, I noticed the Classic Nib slimline TBC bushings have a long section that slides into the slimline tube. I was wondering if you could use these slimline TBC bushings as "adapters" and place your normal mandrel bushings on the slimline TBC bushings and turn that way?

I'd hate to have to start buying all new bushings to turn between centers for all of the types of pen kits I have but I am tired of warped/bent mandrels...

Brian Nikitas [Nikitas;9301] on the forum sells TBC adapters so you can use your original bushings with a dead and live center.

MikeinMich

And arizona silhouette just started selling a MT1 and MT2 adapter set that allows using the bushings without having to get TBC bushings
just ordered it so I don't know how well it works.

jsolie

Yes, that works. I've done that with Gent/Statesman bushings as I couldn't find dedicated TBC bushings (which I've since found, but the slimline bushing method seems to work).

One thing I've found about using stock bushings as TBC bushings (using a 60 degree dead center to drive and a 60 degree live center on the other end) is that the stock bushing can build up a small burr which can make it tricky to get the bushing on a mandrel should you ever find that necessary.

thewishman

I needed to make a full size Gent and didn't have time to have TBC bushings made. I put the regular bushings into my collet chuck and used a center drill to cut 60 degree holes in the backs. They worked just fine.

lhowell

I too purchased these and initial observation is very good machining! The spindles align well and there is little to no wobble on the small shaft.

I was also fortunate to be the recipient of a set of TBC adapters that Kyle from Kyles Kustom Pens sent me! Can't wait to try them both out!

Top Bottom